SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if any of you has had any experience with any other Coilovers for our beloved b14 other than the Ground Controls. I guess Weapon R makes them for our cars ( new circut pro's ), Aerospeed ($149), and a place called Ricky Racer ($139). I know the other two are probably two good to be true as far as quality and what not..but the only racing my car see's is the few heads up races on the street and the weekly trips to the Sacramento Raceway. My main concern is basically longevity and ride quality..I'll be honest im gonna probably drop the car as low as possible with whichever coilovers I get so Im not expecting a near stock like ride but don't wanna be bottoming out and rattling my teeth out of my mouth so any input would be appreciated. Also if you guys know about any other brands..prices and what not..feel free to post! Thanks Guys!

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
From what I understand the "other" coilover makers aren't even in the same league as Ground Control. I've seen some that use 2 locking collars that are much harder to adjust than the GC single collar. Some aren't even adjustable on the car. You have to remove them to adjust the height. That sucks!!

I have found much more often than not that you get exactly what you pay for. A set of $139 coilovers are not going to perform like $399 coilovers. I spend quite a bit of time at road courses crewing for my SCCA racer friends. They use Ground Control, not Weapon R, not Aerospeed, and certainly not Ricky Racer.

My $.02, Ground Control is the best, everyone else is a half-assed alternative.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
I'll be honest im gonna probably drop the car as low as possible with whichever coilovers I get so Im not expecting a near stock like ride but don't wanna be bottoming out and rattling my teeth out of my mouth so any input would be appreciated. </font>
If you slam the car to the ground, you ARE going to be bottoming out unless you get some "semi-custom" shocks from Shocktek, Truechoice or Motivational Engineering. These have shortened, uh, shafts so you can lower your car and not bounce off the bump stops. Any other shock, you're going to be bouncing off the bump stops if you try to lower more than an inch or so.

I had Eibach Pro-Kits (just a 1.25" drop) with generic OE-replacement shocks (Tokicos) and the front end looked like a pogo stick sometimes. I was just watching video of my car last night of the '98 Petersburg SCCA Pro Solo, and I can't believe I actually competed with that sucky suspension.

I don't have any experience with the "other" coil-overs. Just Shocktek (on my car) and Ground Control (on gpser96's car and a friend's Neon).

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys..I checked out that link for that group buy...for some reason though they decided to exclude us folks here in California. So im gonna try calling them directly..I just found out that GC is located right next to where I go to school...hmm..at least I can save on shipping. Thanks again guys.

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts