SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Anybody have a past experiences with Arospeed or Weapon R's new Circut Pro Coilovers? I know that the Ground Controls are the coilovers of choice...But just wanted some info..Ground Control qouted me $426 with me picking up the coilovers from them directly. ( Im like a hour and a half from them ) The Weapon R's are gonna be 325 shipped and the Arospeeds 176 shipped..The price difference is enough for me to consider to the two..but want some real world experience info? Somebody had to buy these things right?

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
I should be able to tell you in about a week. I just ordered the Arospeed coilovers. They were supposedly on back order, but they just got the shipment in. I reply as soon as they're installed.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you subscribe to SuperStreet or you can get your hands on one, look at the Feruary 2001 Issue. It has info on differnt companies that make coilovers, Page 86. I believe I heard that if you want to adjust the Weapon R's that you have to take them off to adjust them. I'd buy the Ground Controls, but I don't have the funds for anything right now.

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; now raising funds for AGX's

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...yeah Yes-er let me know how they turn out..I have Sprint Springs right now and they dropped the car about 2 inches. The ride is liveable but I really want my 17's to look like 17's. Yeah let me know how they work out!

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Yes-er did you recieve your Aerospeeds yet? I still haven't ordered my coilovers yet..if you have a pretty decent experience with the Aerospeeds im thinking im gonna try those out..if not I guess im going with the Ground Controls..( If the Aerospeeds work out..he,he,he I can get my ECU too...he,he,he )

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
I got the coilovers on Thursday, and at the earliest theyll be on tommorrow. All these people bashing them is making me reconsider putting them on. The roads arent very good here, and its already bad enough on my 40 series tires. I post asap.

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Yes-er you ever get those Coilovers on??? How did they do? As bad as people have been saying or are they decent?

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Sorry this is taking so long, but the shop I want to have do it is packed with buisness. They will be on the car April 6th. So Ill post back then.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Yes-er..just wanted to let you know..I was reading one of the other post in the Forum and one of the guys is running the Motivational Setup on his B14 and his spring rates are 400 in Front 450 in the Rear! So unless thats a typo thats pretty close to what the Aerospeeds are. I know that they run a shortened strut to help with the lack of suspension travel in our cars after they're lowered but the problem of snap oversteer that everyone kept refering to should also affect that car to right? But he post that the car handles very well and rides pretty comfortably. I know that comparing a $149 coilover setup to a $1400 shortened strut/spring or coilover setup isn't a real comparison but if the main problem with the Aerospeed is supposedly the spring rate? They can't be that bad right? I know Im not the only college student on the board trying to pay for school and still keep up with my fellow SE-R doodes! ( $149 coilovers and ECU ) Great way to spend most of my Tax return

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Yes-er..just wanted to let you know..I was reading one of the other post in the Forum and one of the guys is running the Motivational Setup on his B14 and his spring rates are 400 in Front 450 in the Rear! So unless thats a typo thats pretty close to what the Aerospeeds are. I know that they run a shortened strut to help with the lack of suspension travel in our cars after they're lowered but the problem of snap oversteer that everyone kept refering to should also affect that car to right? But he post that the car handles very well and rides pretty comfortably. I know that comparing a $149 coilover setup to a $1400 shortened strut/spring or coilover setup isn't a real comparison but if the main problem with the Aerospeed is supposedly the spring rate? They can't be that bad right? I know Im not the only college student on the board trying to pay for school and still keep up with my fellow SE-R doodes! ( $149 coilovers and ECU ) .......hmmmmm Great way to spend most of my Tax return

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
400 and 450 is not gonna be comfortable. get the pro kits and the agxs. unless you are totally serious about handling, I would not go overboard with coilovers. you also would not want heavier springs in the back either. if you get some, save up and buy the g/c and save some money in the longrun. at first I had intrax springs, now I have eibach, and hopefull within a month I will have the ground controls with the g/c plates.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
at first I had intrax springs, now I have eibach, and hopefull within a month I will have the ground controls with the g/c plates.

</font>
Intrax...eeewwwwww...haha, j/k.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you should not be kidding. eeeeewwwwwwwwww is right. sad thing is I had them on when I was on the bb lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
you should not be kidding. eeeeewwwwwwwwww is right. sad thing is I had them on when I was on the bb lol
</font>
LOL. actually i think it depends on the car. U sually a company like Intrax is all sho no go. But i guess if the spring rates are good, then they work well on some cars. I mean, i have a couple frineds, one wht a Accord, who has them and he hates them. And, Jordan whites bro, has them on his 91 NA MR2, with tockico's and he says he loves the way the car handles...of course those handle pretty damn good right outta the box.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
After rushing home from school Friday, I immeadiately called Adrenaline Motorsports to see if my car was done. "Bad news dude, you need new shocks." ? At first I was expecting him to laugh, but it was no joke. It turns out the nut on top of the strut was completely rusted, and when they put the air gun on it, it busted. The front is lowered, but the rear shocks wont be in until Tuesday. Now I know this discussion is about how the car feels, but I have to say, the car looks damn good. But I dont know what price that will come with. So, I promise, as soon as I drive the car, I will post.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I got a friend at work who has the intrax on his maxima and likes em'. they looked good, but it was really bouncy, and got worse. I think the springs actually were starting to sag too.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
496 Posts
400 and 450 is not gonna be comfortable. get the pro kits and the agxs. unless you are totally serious about handling, I would not go overboard with coilovers. you also would not want heavier springs in the back either. if you get some, save up and buy the g/c and save some money in the longrun. at first I had intrax springs, now I have eibach, and hopefull within a month I will have the ground controls with the g/c plates.

</font>
Well the spring rates i chose are for PRO SOLO autocross and they are selected that way becuase the car is infaliable in the corners. It does not push the slightest bit. I have run it through a GEEZ program and it corners at 1.01 G lateral acceleration and brakes to a ,97 and can go from lateral left 1.01 G to lateral right 1.0 G like in a slalom without a complaint. Oh and thats on STREET TIRES..!!!

The rates are bouncy on the street a little but not too uncomfortable. I drive it everyday in a suit and tie and i have no complaints. The wheel rates and motion ratios in the 200s are really low so no matter how stiff springs you get it will always be compliant to an extent.

The stiffer rear springs get the rear wheels to break loose before the fronts and hence i can pivot the car around cones and into corners without any more than a brief lift of the throttle. I also passed my buddies Civic SI with APEXi coil overs on the INSIDE of a corner at a high speed lap session at alocal track.

Select your spring rates stiff enouch to keep the cars off the bump stops.. that is what kills handling. IF you lower the car, you HAVE to increase the spring rate to keep it off the bump stops. The eibachs just don't have enough spring rate to keep you from bottoming out doing anything but street driving. If you are racing go coilovers and select your own spring rate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts