SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright SE owners... starting with the header and working all the way back to the muffler, what is everyone running. Preferences, durability, cost... give me some input.

------------------
1-9-9-9 SE Limited
At a robbery anything goes... do whatcha wanna do

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
hotshot header, greddy exhaust is the only bolt in exhaust I know of for the 98+

·
Registered
254 Posts
HS CAI
AEBS Header
Stock cat
Modified Courtesy Catback

Intake noise is almost completely overpowered by the exhaust roar. Noticable improvement in torque. 135hp at the wheels prior to installing the CAI.

CB

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
PRCAI (very durable, $170)
S3 cams (hey, they affect breathing!)
Hotshot 3rd Gen header. (Some minor rust, $375 group deal)
Stock big-ass cat (very durable
)
Courtesy b-pipe (sleeved) (stainless, $200 new)
Dynomax Ultra-Flo 17289 (19" can, 2.5" core, stainless, $112 shipped) welded to a flange so I can swap back to the stock muffler at any time, currently tip-less

Very deep and noisy rumble at idle.
I only notice the exhaust noise below 3000, sometimes up to 3500. Even at part throttle, I don't notice the exhaust above 3500rpm. At WOT all I can hear is CAI.

Pulls from 3000-7800.

I would like someone to try the magnaflow part # 14256.
http://www.magnaflow.com/03oc.htm
I think it might be even quiter than my Ultra-Flo because of the increased can height.

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i already posted my reply, but i forgot to mention the ULTRA-MOD: a die hard Gators fan behind the whell!!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I only notice the exhaust noise below 3000, sometimes up to 3500. Even at part throttle, I don't notice the exhaust above 3500rpm. </font>
I need to modify what I said. I have been driving a lot at 60 mph with the windows down. Yesterday a took a longer interstate trip at 75mph with the A/C on (windows up). When the car is cruising you can barely detect the exhaust. If you are going uphill, however, it is pretty loud. If I wasn't going to go show the exhaust to people, I would put the stock muffler back on for trips.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I need to modify it again. I drove from Cinci to Nashville this morning, and it wasn't as loud. Uphill still made some noise, but at least I don't go 8 mph slower uphill than I do downhill like all the SUV's do.

Still, I will be using the stock muffler for all long trips in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which contributes more to noise: b-pipe or b-pipe w/ aftermarket muffler.
And do you lose much with b-pipe and stock muffler?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the only way yer noise level will raise with b-pipe only, is if there's no resonator. but you'd probably never really notice it if you listen to the radio. now an aftermarket exhaust will more than likely raise the dB level, how high is dependent upon the type of muff. i'm assuming you meant lose much hp, in which case, no. provided of course you don't go larger than 3" for a NA motor.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Hmmm... best setup? F-Max manifold, Garrett Turbo, 3" downpipe, custom 3" exhaust, wastegate venting to atmosphere..
How's that for an awesome header-back exhaust system?
Oh, and you'll notice a nice SOTP power increase. LOL!!

</font>
yeah, you'll notice a SOTP difference alright....that's cuz you don't have any $$$ left in those pants!!!!

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
yeah, you'll notice a SOTP difference alright....that's cuz you don't have any $$$ left in those pants!!!!
</font>
Bwaaahahaha!! You can say that again!! LOL!!

------------------
David
Boosted '98 Super Black SE
Sentra on Steroids

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Hmmm... best setup? F-Max manifold, Garrett Turbo, 3" downpipe, custom 3" exhaust, wastegate venting to atmosphere..
How's that for an awesome header-back exhaust system?
Oh, and you'll notice a nice SOTP power increase. LOL!!

------------------
David
Boosted '98 Super Black SE
Sentra on Steroids

1 - 13 of 13 Posts