SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a sweet 91 Sentra SE-R with 109,000 on her. I knew she was at 130 to 133 on all four because I checked it before I bought her. I've seen what the manuels say but is this far off from what any of the rest of you have with that kind of millage?
I was told because the guy I bought it from used Mobil 1 synthetic that I should add 10% to the readings. This sounds like bull, but could it be true?

I'm new here so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Did you warm the car up and everything before checking compression? I wouldn't expect a weak motor on such a low-mileage motor. (Low miles compared to my 195k autox toy)

I any case a JDM motor is about 600 and is higher compression.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
what should the compression test read out on a 93 se-r?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I test drove her first. I know part of it may be the accuracy of the gauge I was using. Not sure about that. Any thoughts about the Mobil 1 line???

Thanks!

------------------
91 Sentra SE-R with mods.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I test drove her first. I know part of it may be the accuracy of the gauge I was using. Not sure about that. Any thoughts about the Mobil 1 line???

Thanks!

------------------

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
jacen99se:

would it be better if 1-4 is all reading the same? within a few PSI of each other? is it better to have low or high PSI?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi silversx. It is always better to have each cylinder to be close to each within a few pounds, than to have three of them high and one low. The reason being is the engine is more balanced on the first example. On the second thought it would mean you got a bad cylinder...ie bad rings, crack in piston, etc... Your idle would be rough on the second example as well.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Drove RedRacer's car last night. I don't care what the compression test says, it is strong. My butt-dyno says all horses present and accounted for, then some.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks she is. Next step...throtle in da bottle...more to come.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red Racer, what part of nc are you in... im in charlotte

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a few hours from you. I live in Cary...its near Raleigh. Maybe we could meet up sometime.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im about to put on my agx's wanna help

------------------
Super Black 93

POP Charger, 17 degrees Timing, Reground MAF

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just added some shortned struts to my XE. So the work would not be the problem. The problem is you are roughly 3 hours away (one way) I would say lets do it at my place, but I have an apartment. No garage:-(
Tell you what... let me know when you want to do this, and I'll see whats going on. (I've got two jobs.) Fair enough?

Oh yeah one stip...you have to race me ;-)

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts