SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your trap speed when running those times? Trap speed is a much better indicator of how much power your car is making. I'd say with your mods, you should be at 93-94+ mph. If so, then your car isn't down on power, you just don't know how to drive.

Antonio

G

·
Trap Speeds are at 90.05 never higher than 90 and some change after the decimal.

I wish I was getting 93/94 mph trap speeds.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
compression numbers should be anywhere from 147-178PSI..i think

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
I'm going to perform a compression test on my slow ass 97 tonight. What are good compression numbers if any one has performed them on their s4 equiped car.?
The reason I'm doing this is because I've been getting constant 15.3 / 15.4 the two times I went to the Lebanon Valley Drags. I know I still don't know how to drive, but I think it might be more than my lack of experience drag racing. My 60' is 2.302/ 2.29

Thanks,

Art
teal 97,hs g3,pri,s4 cams, ecu,2.25 custom exhaust, bobbing head dog.

G

·
did the compression check last night and confirmed it this morning. 168-170 all 4 cylinders. I'm pretty happy with the results but I also checked the timing which was all screwed up It was like at -5 or so. So I set it at about 14 because I know the cams don't like alot of timing advance. What's strange thought is that the distributor is all the way forward. If I remember correctly when I set the timing without the cams, it wasn't as far forward as I set it now. I also regrounded (sp?) the maf. Maybe that will help. As soon as I get my voltmeter from my friend I'll check the TPS.

Hopefully its driver error. I shift as close to redline as possible, maybe it's the way I'm shifting. How do you guys do it ? I shift quickly, but I still let my foot of the gas and use the clutch..

Sorry for the long post, but I really need to figure my slow car out.

Art
-teal 97,hs g3,pri,s4 cams, ecu,2.25 custom exhaust, bobbing head dog.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
With I/H/E/Cams/ECU you should definately be running faster than 15.3's.....I ran a 15.1 with just I/H/Cams in my 98...my trapspeed was also at 90mph.

How is your clutch doing?

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Before you reset your timing did you make sure that your idle speed was correct? I know I had a problem with adjusting mine, until I realized that I was getting incorrect readings due to my idle being off.

G

·
My clutch is ok. I try not to drive too hard unless I'm at the track. The car has 53,000 on it. I checked the idle before I did the timing. The car definately feels better. I readjusted the timing to 15. I'll find out next time at the track if I get better runs. It would be interesting to find out if the cams are that sensitive to base idle timing.

-Art

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slow97ser:
I'm going to perform a compression test on my slow ass 97 tonight.</font>
Art, that is NOT running right for sure.

Give me a call so we can arrange a time to check your cam timing. I'm 99.9% sure that the gear didn't jump a tooth but we can pull the valve cover real quick and see if the marks are lined up, it's no big deal.

Give me a call and we can look over the car and try to nail it down.

I think you know my #...if not email me. [email protected]

G

·
I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it Jay. I just moved to Manchester so I'll email ya since I can't find half the stuff I with my notes in it. I'll be at the pike tonight around 9 if you're gonna be there.

-Art

G

·
PROBLEM FIXED ! :cool: Thanks to Jay H. My car is running like it should. The problem was due a skipped tooth on the exhaust cam gear. Once Jay pulled the valve cover it was pretty clear. The car feels like it opened up a whole new can of whoop ass. We adjusted the distributor back to 15 and Jay also noticed that my fuel filter line was being kinked. The slow ass 97 doesn't feel so slow anymore.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know what times I run next time at the track.

Hey Ryan when you wanna line'em up again?

-Art

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Damnit! I want Jay to play with my car! I want a fast ass 96
. Maybe if there is a NE meet I will go and maybe Jay will too...

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slow97ser:
PROBLEM FIXED ! :cool: Thanks to Jay H. My car is running like it should. The problem was due a skipped tooth on the exhaust cam gear. Once Jay pulled the valve cover it was pretty clear. The car feels like it opened up a whole new can of whoop ass. We adjusted the distributor back to 15 and Jay also noticed that my fuel filter line was being kinked. The slow ass 97 doesn't feel so slow anymore.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know what times I run next time at the track.

Hey Ryan when you wanna line'em up again?

-Art
</font>
If a tooth was skipped on the exhaust cam gear, would you not be able to notice by the distributor position when the timing is set to 15° BTDC? I'm curious, because my '91 SE-R with S4 cams produces similar trap speeds (although the dyno showed 151 whp, which I find odd).

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pit_Viper:
If a tooth was skipped on the exhaust cam gear, would you not be able to notice by the distributor position when the timing is set to 15° BTDC? I'm curious, because my '91 SE-R with S4 cams produces similar trap speeds (although the dyno showed 151 whp, which I find odd).

</font>

If the exhaust cam was off a tooth your distributor would be off about 10* either direction.

In other words you would know it. If you layed down 152hp your traps should be about 97mph. If your traps are 90mph the dyno was probably wrong. Go to either again and see if the results repeat themselves.

Art: No problem at all. Like I said at my house...It probably skipped when we first fired it up with a limp timing chain tensioner on the install. I back up what I do to the best of my ability, and it wouldn't be right if I said "I dunno, not my problem".

Glad to hear it's running good, if you have any more trouble let me know.

I'd be interested to see you and Ryan go again...your cars are similar except that he has the pullies.

------------------
Jay Hassinger
B14 Turbo 409whp (Sold)
91 TSi 11.80's for under 5 grand including the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

If the exhaust cam was off a tooth your distributor would be off about 10* either direction.

In other words you would know it. If you layed down 152hp your traps should be about 97mph. If your traps are 90mph the dyno was probably wrong. Go to either again and see if the results repeat themselves.
</font>
I trust the drag strip more than the dyno - my trap speeds (between 90-91 mph) are, unfortunately, very consistent.

My "race weight" is ~2780 pounds. I thought 151 whp would be more in the 93-94 mph range. I guess it doesn't really matter, since the dyno was obviously very optimistic either way.

Time to diagnose the "slow Classic" syndrome...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It probably skipped when we first fired it up with a limp timing chain tensioner on the install. </font>
Before you put the valve cover on, rotate the valvetrain (use the cam flats or the crankshaft) until the tensioner pops out. It doesn't take much movement to pop the tensioner, and then you are starting the car with a tight chain.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
Before you put the valve cover on, rotate the valvetrain (use the cam flats or the crankshaft) until the tensioner pops out. It doesn't take much movement to pop the tensioner, and then you are starting the car with a tight chain.</font>
I normally do just that but apparently I didn't unlatch the tensioner when we did his. ooops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts