Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update (3-14-04)
I hope to have all the remaining beta boxes shipped by the end of the week. On Friday I plan to start taking orders. I will do these in lots of five. I'm going to do these in small lots because I don't want a large number of outstanding orders. Sometime later this week I'll post a list of everybody that hass expressed intrest. As I fill them, I'll cross your name off the list. I'm really working as quick as I can to get these to you, thank you for your patience.

To anybody that is building these on your own: I'll post an updated schematic Fridayish. I don't recommend using the original schematic. The latest version is cheaper and much more reliable. The old version will probably work if you've already bought parts, but its got some flaws.

As to which cars this will work for, the short answer is almost every '90s car that has a consult plug. There are some '90s cars which use the same consult plug that use an older system, but these seem to be very rare. So far, the only car I've ran accross that this didn't work on was a '93 auto tranny maxima.

If your unfamiliar, the consult port is under fuse box and looks something like this (heh, I'm stealing this photo off the 'net, when I get a chance I'll walk outside and take a picture of the one on my B13):

For those that asked, my box uses a serial port, not USB, but if your laptop has no serial ports you can buy a USB to serial adapter pretty cheap. I could make a USB version (I've done quite a bit of USB hardware stuff in the past), but it would be more expensive than just buying the adapter.

Anymore questions just ask.
Update (3-14-04)

Update (3-11-04)
I have plugs! They're ghetto fabulous, but they work great! I have to pretty much cut them in half to get them to work, but the pinout and pin size is correct. They are very stable when plugged in, I've been driving hard and they don't move. Here's what the latest version looks like. This is Frank Orozcos box btw.

and a zoom of the connector:

and the business stuff:

and my rolling test bench of ghetto wonderness:

You guys box will be different, I'll post pics when I get them in stock. They're gonna be smaller and white. Don't ask, it was the only color they had in stock. I'm changing the circuit design again too. If your counting along, this is cut 5. Once all the beta boxes ship I'll take orders for the real thing, maybe end of next week. I'm limiting these orders to 5 at a time, I don't want to overcommit and leave paid customers waiting (beta testers are a different story, they get to wait :tongue:).
Update (3-11-04)

Update (2-24-04)
I've ran into a little setback. I havn't been able to get the plugs I got to work. Calling these consult plugs is about as close as calling my car a Ferrari. This really sucks as I had to buy 50 of these damn things with no return available. *Bleh*

Anywho, I'd still like to move this along quickly so for right now I guess I'm going to build these with push pins as pictured below. They work fine and are very stable when you attach them, but obviously they are not as good as having a real plug. They just take a little longer to set up and they're not dummy proof. I don't think you could zap anything by hooking up the wrong pin in the wrong place but I don't want to find out. :) I'm building and shipping a beta test batch this week, should be ready to take my first batch of orders shortly after that.

If anyone wants to make some money, find me the real deal consult connectors. I will buy 50 right off the bat and probably more later. I'm flexible on price. Alternativley, if anybody can do plastic molding and wants to start making these I'd buy from you too. This is what nProbe does for their connector btw.

If I ever manage to get a source for consult plugs after I start selling units I will modify older units for just the cost of the plug.
Update (2-24-04)

Update (2-22-04)
I have consult plugs now, well, sort of. I've got a plug that will fit after its trimmed a little. The shell isn't quite right, but it has the correct pin layout, thats whats important. Unfortunatley I don't have the damn pins. *sigh* I'll spend monday rummaging to see what I can come up with, I've probably got something that will work its just a matter of finding it. I'll try to post pictures of what I've got tommorrow.

Other news: A full port of the conZult software looks very likley (including rom display features). The stock B13 rom is laid out much like the S13 rom and thats a good thing. I'll harvest a B14 rom soon and check it.

I'll post a list of cars the hardware should work for soon. Basically if it has a consult port it should work, buuuuuut I already found out it won't work with a '93 maxima that did have a consult port. Wierdness. For the person that asked I don't _think_ it will work for a p11, but don't know for sure. It works for mostly early to late 90s nissans. It will not work for a B15.
Update (2-22-04)

Guys,

I need to know how many of you are interested in buying the consult hardware interface preassembled. If you don't know what this is for please refer to this thread: Consult thread. In a nutshell this plus a laptop plus the freeware version of the conZult software gets you the functions of a techtom mdm-100 (monitor sensors in real time) plus being able to put your car in timing mode with a mouse click and being able to check and clear your codes. Beyond that, potentially you could do alot more depending on the software. The writer of the conZult software has expressed an interest in doing a full port for the SE-R including his rom and datalogging features. Also there is a group forming to start work on open source software. See the above thread for details.

Anywho, I need to know how many of you guys would be interested in this hardware preassembled and in a nice pretty case. Something like this but with a real consult plug instead of the individual pins (sorry, this is an early version, I've got the consult plugs ordered but haven't received them yet):

Target price is $50 shipped. If your intrested please respond in this thread, don't PM or e-mail me!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
StYLez Se-R said:
do u need a laptop or can u use a PC

You could use a PC if you wanted, but you would have to hook up the PC next to your car for monitoring, etc, so you wouldnt be able to monitor while driving, so it would be kinda pointless.

Calum, put me down!!! I just dont have time right now to build my own board., and for $50 shipped, I cant really save much money.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is the connection going to be the same as the techtoms, as I'm wondering if some other nissans would be applicable, say like a '95 ka. I don't see why not since I know techtom's can work on ka's but I just want to check. If so then I'd be down for a set, unless I somehow find the time to build one as well.

UltimaSE

·
So many cars, so little $
197 Posts
I'd like one. I'm really interested in the code clearing/checking, my S13 blacktop DET doesn't have the screw or LED on the ecu.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
The connections will be the same, he says right in there that he ordered the consult plugs they just aren't in yet. I would prolly be interested in one of these for my brother's car. I don't like pulling my techtom out of my car everytime i need it on his.

Brent

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am officially very interested. Loved using the consult for timing and such when I was working at a dealer.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Im in support you 100 percent dogg let me know where to make payment. I went to the electronic store to get an idea and it doesnt look hard just time consuming to mock up the board. Hopefully you get this out to the public before I get my hands dirty soldering those tiny ass resistors. I'm so anxious to get this or make. I'm in and hopefully there will be upgrades and support from sr20 community.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I'm interested, but I need to know the requirements for the PC. My laptop is ancient (like, Pentium 166 ancient) and I've already found that I wouldn't be able to use all the functions of, say, an E-manage setup.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
pencil me in. ill let you know.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.