SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When launching a high HP turbo or NOS car, which way does the control arm flex?
Is it backwards because the arm wants to move back due to the torque?
or....
Is it forward because when you dump the clutch the tire moves the arm forward?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
There was a discussion about this on the list. If you think about it a little bit, the axle and tires start to give torque. The control arm attaches the wheels to the WHOLE CAR and since the tires are trying to move forward and the car is a big damn weight not wanting to move, the control arms would deflect forward since the tires are pulling the control arms forward. They deflect until enough power is transferred to the car and the car moves forward.

That just IMHO opinion

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well from video pics of my car the tires go almost back into the fender. So from what I have seen it deflects backwards.

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies! I too thought that the arm deflects backwards, thus I need to adjust the traction/radius arms forward.
Oh yeah, besides the custom intake manifolds, this is my next product I intend to offer to the SR20 community.

If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I would think that the pivot mounts would flex before the arm would bend. Anybody got a little "pen camera" to test this with.

Blair

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since no one has thrown this into the mix, you might want to check-out N-Tech's control arm brace available from http://www.motivational.net/ It was specifically designed to address these deflection issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts