new on the SER scene...
trying to decide wich car should I buy next
94 4dr integra LS 139k 140hp obd1
or
94 2dr ser sentra 140k 140hp obd?

I have extensive knowledge on the acuras/hondas
plus xtra parts laying around.

on nissan im new and dont know the difference of JDM or USDM
or what mods to start with to get decent HP gains...

·
SE-R Mana
759 Posts
Well, you've found one of the right places to look for information for the "classic" SE-R. You may also want to check out SE-R.net and http://www.nissanperformancemag.com.

As for a comparison of your two choices, consider this:
-even if the two may have the same HP numbers, the torque numbers is where you should also look
-do you really want what everyone else has or do you want to stand out of the crowd
-popularity isn't everything, it can also make you (your car) a target for theives
-"performance" parts are abundant for Hondas but typically the few Nissan aftermarket products are quality goods (but expensive)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
humm 4door 2d00r?sr20 no sr20?integra everyone and there moma has one se-r lucky to see one forsale?sr20 jdm engine 450shipped, ls at least a grand?But then again get what u like ur the one whos gona have to drive it in the end

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Storm88000 said:
And to answer your other question, 94 SE-R is OBDI
as far as to breaking into cars
both cars are targets here in NYC.
as for integras I currently own 3 of them and had no real bad exp...
yes the SER are very few and hard to find is like looking for a 92-93 gsr.

if I was to swich out the USDM to JDM engine what year JDM engine
would I have to look for or is it easy as the honda just to switch
necessary sensors and im done.
As far as boosting how much would it be for a JDM sr20det
and what mods do I need to make to make it fit.
or turbo kit for the one I already have.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
You've probably been on honda forums and have had some net experience. Please search for what you're asking about.

1) There is very little difference between the USDM and JDM SR20DEs to warrant a swap, unless the USDM motor is on its way out.

2) Yes, the swap is as easy as switching the necessary sensors. No BS involved on OBD-I cars.

3) Check the turbo section for shops that carry the DETs and the prices they charge for them. The DET swap is not so different than the DE swap. There is a turbo kit out for your DE, which you will also have to look up in the turbo section. Better yet, you could use all the turbo accessories off of a DET and just install them in your car. It comes down to what you want to do and how easy you want it all to be.

PS, I do love newbies, but sometimes I feel like a little reminder wouldn't hurt. :)

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
Don't know if this would mean anything to you, but the SR20DE has a timing chain(good for the life of the engine) vs. a timing belt in the Hondas & Acuras(need to be inspected/changed periodically). That should save some money and time in maintenance costs(not to mention worry & concern), and that's the key reason why I got the G20. ;)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Get a 240sx. You already have 3 FWD cars. Get a 240 and drop a Sr20det in it.

·
95NismoB14grl
1,492 Posts
all i know is that HONDA's SUCK and NISSAN is the ****

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
well since you got 3 tegs... just get the se-r... get something different, why do you wanna get the same car as your other ones anyways

·
-John-
690 Posts
Ive driven two hondas(both stock)....a teg and a civic. Neither were bad cars but I love the way my Se-R drives over either...and my classic has 243K on it. You already have three of the tegs and trust me, you WILL NOT regret getting a classic.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all 3 integras are second gen
so it will be a step up to the 3rd gen.
but what impresses me is the torque is same as HP
and it starts in the lower rpms...
as for RWD I have a 82 toyota wagon thats my
project... still undecided of what swap will go in there
some Ideas are
sr20det
13b turbo II
f20
in wich will be full blown since I dont use much.
plus I dint come here to insult nissan (3rd world cabbies)
just to talk tech...

Harry thanks for the uneeded attitude that makes you
look worse than a NOOB..

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
redflores3 said:
some Ideas are
sr20det
13b turbo II
f20
just to talk tech...

look worse than a NOOB..
His name is Harris. :)

And if you get the 94 ser (which of corse we are all going to recommend) your gonna have to put up with him alot.

My 2cents. Choose the best car for you. If you have 3 tegs, why would you want another one. Not to mention the cost of Honda's. Plus, mod for mod...we usually beat Honda's. The thing about Honda...aftermarket. Nissan people have their off the shelf limits. We must go to custom parts and extreme measures. Honda's...can call up any shop and order any part. Not to mention the research. You have plenty of people researching new and better products. We have Mike Kojima and sometimes Andreas Miko. Most everyone else keeps to themselves and just show us big dyno charts and fast 1/4miles times.

Plus, you'll get more respect for a built Nissan than Honda. Even if the Honda is faster. Nissan is the quite underdog performer, Honda is the wimpy athlete turned steriod freak. They may become bigger, but who cares nowadays.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Why don't you just drive the SR20-powered vehicle versus the B18-powered integra and see which one you like better. I'm sure you'll see the light!

·
-John-
690 Posts
redflores3 said:
some Ideas are
sr20det
13b turbo II
f20
just to talk tech...

look worse than a NOOB..
Hey you are pretty lucky Harris wasn't being sarcastic he actually attempted to be nice to you...most of us don't get a lot of that but I don't mind honesty even if it comes served cooked differently than I like it. I'm not gettin on you but just sayin take it easy I got a little grief at first but trust me when I say this is one awesome forum to be signed up on and everyone is helpful...so don't go makin enemies so quickly.

BTW...test drive each, bet you'll love the Se-R

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
redflores3 said:
look worse than a NOOB..
It's Harris, as Jason already mentioned. I promise you that you'll love me should you buy the SE-R and get to talk to me more. And oh, please take note of my sig pic in my previous post. That'll tell you a little something about me. :)

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
When you're looking at bang-for-buck (which is what all of us are about), Nissan has Honda/Acura beat hands-down. If you want to go boost, get a GTI-R swap (240 crank hp) for about $4K complete. The great thing about this is that the sr20de and det have bulletproof bottom ends and are boostable to 350whp or so without bottom-end modification (the only thing is, you'll have to upgrade your tranny).

Or, if you want to go all-motor, get yourself cams or go with the SR20VE (Nissan's version of VTEC). The VE is 185 crank HP stock (you can get it up to 185 or so whp with mods, no cams), but it costs the same as a turbo motor. There are cams available for the VE that will put it in 200whp territory, and JWT is talking about making cams that will give it 220 whp!

All in all, you can spend thousands (I'm not exaggerating) less than an Integra or Civic and go faster. If you want a great suspension, the aftermarket for the 1995-1999 Sentra SE/200sx se-r is better than the 1991-1994 SE-R.

But what it all boils down to is personal preference, so I'd suggest test-buying one for a month or so. If you don't like it, there are plenty of people that want one, so selling it wouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts