SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 G20, It has 109k on the engine.
For some reason recenly the radiator keep on sending coolant over to the little plastic coolant overflow tank and even made the overflow tank to spill out coolant. The strange thing is that the radiator itself is somewhat empty maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 empty. And my car is not overheating at all and seem to run fine. My prediction of the possibilities are 1)a leaky or blown head gasket, 2)a defective radiator cap. 3)a weak water pump. or 4)bad quality coolant.
So what is going on with my G ride?
Please help.......... Thanks in advance.

------------------
Nelson
"What is a G20 stands for?" G-spot 20x.........

[This message has been edited by nelam (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Have you repalced the water pump before? Also, since the stock one is weak, urgrading to the unorhtodox underdrive pullies alleviates some of the problem (supposedly)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water pump has never been replaced. What is the benefit of the underdrive pulley?
And how come the symtom is related to the water pump?

------------------
Nelson

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
From what I understand the lighter pulley reduces the load on the pump. The stock one is weak and can cavitate at high rpm's. Ask anyone who does autocross events in hot places. I guess just replacing the pump would suffice, but pullies the pullies might help too. Mainly they free up a few ponies if you are into that kind of thing.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Steve Atwood had the same thing happen to his classic this weekend, said it happens quite frequently. He had pullies and everything, even nismo radiator. But didnt replace the cap. I bet its the cap, get a new one

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is cavitate at high rpm mean? And how hard is it to replace the water pump? And what is the best (reliable) radiator on the market? And what about the price?

Is my cooling system problem related to the head gasket?

------------------
Nelson

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket. You can try the radiator cap, that's cheap. But I bet it's the head gasket. Those are the exact symptoms when mine went out on my car back in high school.

Check for oil in the coolant, and coolant in the oil. The oil will be very foamy and bubbly from the coolant. If you have coolant in your oil, stop driving it immediately. The silicon in the coolant will act like sandpaper to the engine internals.

Good luck, sounds like a mess.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't see any coolant in my oil or oil in the coolant though. Strange doesn't it. But from my understanding, I can still have a blown head gasket, even if there has no oil in coolant or coolant in oil symtom. I think is it the best for me to take the car to a shop to have them check it out. But I really hope that is not the case.

Or better yet, I will have to put in a thinner head gasket for higher compression since the technican is really there.

------------------
Nelson

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Or better yet, I will have to put in a thinner head gasket for higher compression since the
technican is really there. </font>
Or even better than that: The head might be warped. Has it overheated recently? I blew my head gasket in high school ('79 Horizon TC3) when it overheated in the mountains. The head warped and, well, the head gasket went immediately. Had to have the head shaved. Darn it

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took my car to a shop, and they said most likely is the water pump since it is already making noise. But, however, my car had been overheated few months ago so there will be a chance on the head gasket too. But at this point they are still checking out the real cause.

------------------
Nelson

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But at this point they are still checking out the
real cause. </font>
Good call. In my case, the previous owner filled the radiator with stop leak to fix a small leak. It clogged the sh!t out of the radiator. I drove up a mountain. Car overheated big time (no temp gauge!!!) Head warped. Gasket blew. "Hello, AAA?"

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts