263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my repsonse to someone inquiring about a turbo kit:

Brock Wrote:

> I'm going to be purchasing Hotshot's new turbo kit
> that sports a T4 turbo and larger intercooler. The
> kit still includes the same injectors from the T3
> set-up: 370cc. By my calculations the T4 set-up
> should need injectors that pump out atleast 450cc/min.
> If this is true, I am going to need a 300zxTT fuel
> pump. Will I also need a new housing for larger
> injectors? Will I need a fuel management system (if
> so, which one?) or will a reprogrammed JWT ECU handle
> this? Am I forgetting anything else I must purchase
> besides what's included in the kit plus a new clutch,
> injectors, and fuel pump?

Brock,

The turbo that hotshot is including in that kit is very large. It you are going to be doing most of your driving on the street I would suggest a T3/T04E hybrid or smaller. The injectors that are included with that kit are only medium sized, they will support approx 230WHP if I remember correctly. If you want to get a turbo that does 230WHP you can use 370cc injectors, stock MAF, and stock fuel pump. Beyond that you are looking at a custom fuel
rail for MSD injectors, upgraded (Ford Cobra) MAF, and a larger fuel pump. A JWT is luckily the easiest, and cheapest way to electronically control your fuel and spark needs! Use it with whatever fuel system you choose.
230HP is a nice amount for the street, but if you crave more power, you will need to spend the extra money. Here would be a good street setup, it is fairly cheap and has almost zero lag. You save a lot of money by not needing a wastegate, MAF, Fuel pump, and Fuel Rail.

JWT ECU
370cc injectors
T25 turbo
Bluebird DET Manifold
OEM or Custom Downpipe
Some sort of OEM BOV
Hotshot Intercooler with piping
3inch exhaust
Manual Boost Controller
ACT Street/Strip Clutch

If you crave more power, here would be a good ~320WHP setup:

JWT ECU
Cobra MAF
FMAX/Protech/Redline Manifold
T3/T04E hybrid with Stage III .63 A/R turbine housing and .50 A/R 50trim
compressor housing
MSD 50lb/hr injectors
FTF or JWT fuel rail
HKS or TiAL Wastegate
HKS, Greddy, TiAL BOV
Walbro or 300ZX TT Fuel pump
Electronic Boost Controller (People seem to like the Greddy Profec B around
here)
2.5 inch Downpipe should be ok, bigger is better though
3 inch exhaust
Strong Clutch, equivalent to ACT ExtremePP with HD Disk
Large Spearco Intercooler

If you are looking to reaplace your front tires every other week, here is a good ~400HP Setup, this is the limit of the stock bottom end:

JWT ECU with 4bar fuel program
Cobra MAF
T3/T04E hybrid with Stage III .82 A/R turbine housing and .50 A/R 50trim
compressor housing
JWT S3 cams
MSD 50lb/hr injectors
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
FTF or JWT fuel rail
HKS or TiAL Wastegate
HKS, Greddy, TiAL BOV
Electronic Boost Controller
3 inch Downpipe
3 inch exhaust
ACT ExtremePP with HD Disk, or 6 puck
Aquamist Water Injection
MSD 6A Ignition

Here is a setup that should get you 500HP, I think you would be nuts to run this on the street:

JWT ECU with 4bar fuel program
Cobra MAF
T3/T04E hybrid with Stage V .82 A/R turbine housing and .60 A/R 57 trim
compressor housing
JWT C1 cams
JWT Springs and Titanium retainers
Cam gears
MSD 72lb/hr injectors
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
FTF or JWT fuel rail
HKS or TiAL Wastegate
HKS, Greddy, TiAL BOV
Electronic Boost Controller
3 inch Downpipe
3 or 3.5 inch exhaust
Strong Clutch, equivalent to ACT ExtremePP with HD Disk
Aquamist Water Injection
O2 Induction Stage II Intake Manifold
JWT Headwork
Arais Forged Pistons
Crower of equivalent rods
MSD 6A Ignition

If you plan on holding up a Federal Bank, Slingin Rock or inherited great wealth, this could probably net you 700HP, but it is purely a guess!

MoTeC Engine management (AEM has a cool one coming out soon!)
3 Bar MAP sensor
Custom Equal length exhaust manifold
HKS 50mm SS Wastegate
TIAL BOV
Very large turbo, something like a T78, or T88
4inch open downpipe
JWT C1 cams
JWT Spring and Titanium retainers
Custom Fuel Rail with 8 injectors
Aeromotive 1000HP fuel pump
Massive Air to Water Intercooler
Aquamist Water Injection
Custom Intake manifold with large plenum
Custom Spec 7.5:1 pistons
Titanium Rods
JUN Stroker Kit
DPR Headwork
Enlarged Valves
MSD 7A Ignition
Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel Pulling a 25' trailer with 30 SR20 transmissions

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some one should be innovative and do the last one! Come on cheap asses!
Anyway, here is some most valuable information that I have learned through research and the problems the myself and others have had. Anyone should take this into account.

1. Don't discount the little things, and things that you won't expect! They will add up. Have you thought about: gauges, turbo timer, clutch, tranny stuff, tune up, FSM, new rubber, BRAKES!!!!!!!, suspension, radiator, coatings, shipping, time delays, tools, labor, dyno time, beater to drive
why your car is down (It will be for much longer that you expect!), that little widget thingamajig bolt that you must have to attach your oil pressure gauge that no hardware store seems to have, etc etc etc. Add up what you think it will cost to do you project, then multiply by 1.5, or even 2! If it is going to be tough to afford to do the turbo, just don't do it! Not only is it a trivial expense (Personal Opinion, don't forget you need food, and it wouldn't hurt to take your girlfriend to dinner once and
awhile), you might have to ditch the project if it becomes to expensive.

2. Don't be cheap! You are either going to end up blowing your engine, or spending more money in the end. Don't skimp on engine management, intercooler, cooling, or fuel especially. You can wait to find deals, but don't plan on getting your project done soon then, cause it could take years just to get the parts. I find, that all the time that it takes to save nickles and dimes on parts, is much better spent working a part time job, or overtime. Not only will you have the money to buy parts new, get them to you
right away, but also, you may end up with some extra cash in the end!

3. Don't plan on buying the same part twice. EG, 370cc injectors now, then buy 50lbs later, or 2.5 inch downpipe now, 3inch later. Not only is it a pain in the ass the do the same mod twice, it will cost you a lot of money. Sometimes it will be a bitch to sell your used parts. If you can't afford what you need now, just wait and save for what you need!

4. Don't listen to your friend's, brother's, uncle who said this and that, and that MAF sucks, you don't need a bigger exhuast yadda yadda. The people you can really trust for solid advice, are this list, JWT, SR20 Development, and Andreas Miko in Florida. There are others that I am forgetting, but you can't go wrong with these guys.

5. Don't get discouraged by set backs, every project has its ups and downs!

6. The following mods may make your car unstreetable depending on your tolerance: Improperly muffled 3 inch exhausts, puck style clutches, divorced wastegates, very large turbos, 72lb/hr injectors. Not to mention, just having a car that can easily break loose the tires in the first 3 gears can be a handful if you aren't an experience driver.
-----------------------------------------------------

If you are feeling adventurous, or want extra security with your turbo setup, here are some mods that no one that I know of has really experimented with, are gravy, or can be used at any stage:

Nissan Motorsports or Koyo Radiator- Never hurts for more cooling, especially with a turbo!

Air to Water Intercooler- No one has one of these on their street setup that I know of!

FMAX or Protech Equal length manifold- I haven't seen much on either of these, there might be some good gains

3.5 inch exhaust- It would be loud, I am not sure if 3 inchs is even being stressed at 400HP, but it might be worth a look

Programmable Engine Management- A few have tried, some people use Apexi Power FC, I know some dude in Hawaii used an Autronic engine management. I think it would be tough to be JWT, but hey, if you got the bucks, and the
tuning experience, prove the list wrong!

Cams- We know there can be some big gains here if you are using a turbo, it would be cool to see what C2 or C3 cams can do if you use gears. JUN, Toda, and Tomei also make cams if you want to try something exotic.

Water Injection- Never hurts to have it at any stage of your turbo,
especially if you plan on boosting a lot with pump gas

Oil Squirters- JWT can install these if you send your block in. They provide some extra cooling and safety for your engine.

O2 induction intake manifold- No one has dynoed one of these on a big turbo motor, the experts are predicting good gains!

Non Turbonetics, or HKS turbo- Mitsubishi, Greddy etc. there are others out there, maybe they suck, maybe they don't!

Cryo/Shotpeen Tranny gears and weld case- If you are making over 300HP, don't be surprised if you tranny breaks! I am not sure if that Quiafe gear deal got off the ground, but that promised to bring some stronger gears to
the table.

EGT gauge- Will let you know if you are about the melt down your motor if you are boosting high!

MSD Digital 6 ignition- Everyone who gets this seems to be very happy with it, might be worth the extra cash if you need an upgraded igniton

Polyurethane Engine Mounts and Bushings- The motor mounts are mandatory for big power, the other bushing are great to have. They are cheap security.

Slicks for racing- Good luck putting down over 300HP on street tires

Clutchnet clutches- They make an excellent combo that works great from high horsepower turbos, without the on/off nature of puck designs!

Roll Cage- Seriously, if you care is starting to get crazy fast, please don't skimp on this.

I might think of some more later. My fingers hurt. I think there are a lot of typos but I don't feel like reading this whole thing over again. E-mail me if you have questions.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Lyn Labahn said:

Air to Water Intercooler- No one has one of these on their street setup that I know of!

Nice to meet ya....:)

·
fabricator
841 Posts
WAIIIIT, thats not the turbo it comes with

Here is a copy of my post to the mainlist: its official info.

Ok, let me clear some stuff up for everyone. There is a new Hotshot kit in development right now. It uses a T3/T04E turbocharger like the FMAX, not a T4 as stated above. The manifold is a tubular equal-length number constructed from 321 Stainless using the 35mm TiAl wastegate. It will have a 3-inch downpipe off the turbine that should clear the A/C compressor (it's going to be close). The manifold allows for the use of the stock radiator fans. The wastegate will be divided for a good distance (think 20-30") before rejoining the downpipe. Big intercooler. The basic kit will include 370cc injectors like normal, but like the FMAX, you should be able to order with upgraded hardware if you want. Pricing has not been set. I can't divulge much more, but let me say, its going to be pretty sweet. :)

Andris Laivins

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Re: WAIIIIT, thats not the turbo it comes with

Well I wonder what it looks like :rolleyes: Sounds kind of familiar to me..... CoughProTEchCough :: Clears throat ::

andris said:
Here is a copy of my post to the mainlist: its official info.

Ok, let me clear some stuff up for everyone. There is a new Hotshot kit in development right now. It uses a T3/T04E turbocharger like the FMAX, not a T4 as stated above. The manifold is a tubular equal-length number constructed from 321 Stainless using the 35mm TiAl wastegate. It will have a 3-inch downpipe off the turbine that should clear the A/C compressor (it's going to be close). The manifold allows for the use of the stock radiator fans. The wastegate will be divided for a good distance (think 20-30") before rejoining the downpipe. Big intercooler. The basic kit will include 370cc injectors like normal, but like the FMAX, you should be able to order with upgraded hardware if you want. Pricing has not been set. I can't divulge much more, but let me say, its going to be pretty sweet. :)

Andris Laivins

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Re: Re: WAIIIIT, thats not the turbo it comes with

PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20 said:
Well I wonder what it looks like :rolleyes: Sounds kind of familiar to me..... CoughProTEchCough :: Clears throat ::
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Andris

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Yeah, uh PSSSHHHH... what exactly are you implying there? I mean, have you seen this manifold yet? And by the way, just because it's a tubular manifold does not mean it comes from Protech.

Right?

Right.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Into the downpipe. You can see it pretty clearly in that pic, there's a black pipe that comes off the left side of the wastegate and goes down, it's going directly into the downpipe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah I could see that it went in the general direction but wasnt sure if it actually tied in and how far down.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
No Zak I know that just cause its equal length doesn't mean that it comes from Protech Racing Fabrication, nore am I saying that the manifold is a protech manifold. It is not my intent to imply either of those, but I will hold my further comments until I view this new manifold. :D

Zak91SER said:
Yeah, uh PSSSHHHH... what exactly are you implying there? I mean, have you seen this manifold yet? And by the way, just because it's a tubular manifold does not mean it comes from Protech.

Right?

Right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow that looks sweet! I want one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts