SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I stripped the hell out of a head bolt on my Avenir taking the head off today. Has anyone does this before? What was your solution? I'm going to get a larger sized Hex bit, pound it into the head, and then weld the thing in. Anyone else try this???? Secondly, could anyone check the price (easily, I'll call a dealership later) for the Nissan valve shimming kit for the SR? Part number is: J38957 The head is going to the porter as soon as I can get this last stud out. Yep, stripped the last ****ing head bolt. On the related subject of my W11 Avenir motor that I bought from JGY about 2 years ago now. This motor has VERY VERY little miles on this thing. The intake ports were clean, no soot, nothing. If you are too take your nail to your exhaust ports and scrape a little soot off of the exhaust side you see SHINY metal. This motor has very, very, very little mileage on it. When it was leakdown tested, it was 5 to 8 on each cylinder. Long live JGY.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has ever stripped a headstud???

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got out the head bolt. If anyone is wondering work your way up to a 7/16's drill bit. Then I took a larger torque bit and with an impact gun spun off the head of the bolt. So much fun, so much fun....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cjburn said:
Guys, I stripped the hell out of a head bolt on my Avenir taking the head off today. Has anyone does this before? What was your solution? I'm going to get a larger sized Hex bit, pound it into the head, and then weld the thing in. Anyone else try this???? Secondly, could anyone check the price (easily, I'll call a dealership later) for the Nissan valve shimming kit for the SR? Part number is: J38957 The head is going to the porter as soon as I can get this last stud out. Yep, stripped the last f-cking head bolt. On the related subject of my W11 Avenir motor that I bought from JGY about 2 years ago now. This motor has VERY VERY little miles on this thing. The intake ports were clean, no soot, nothing. If you are too take your nail to your exhaust ports and scrape a little soot off of the exhaust side you see SHINY metal. This motor has very, very, very little mileage on it. When it was leakdown tested, it was 5 to 8 on each cylinder. Long live JGY.
Part no. J38957, I believe refers to an insert that is installed into the hydraulic lash adjuster fixing hole. This insert then carries the standard arms from a magnetic base that is used to hold a dial guage. I gleaned this information from a 1992 Infiniti G20 service manual pg. EM-46. Hence J38957 is used as a base to measure the height of the rocker arm guide and the top of the adjacent valve.

Instead of buying the shim kit, most (non automotive) machine shops have a surface grinder where you can get shims ground. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts