SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ladies and gents.

my 1st question is:
When you guys race do you slam the accelerator to the floor to get full throttle on each shift?

2nd question kinda technical:
Does the size of the intake tubing make a difference on performance?

My lazy/cheap ass has a 3 inch PVC intake.
Is this too much?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HEY STILETTO WHATS UP , MAN?

Well, my main concern was with the vacuum effect in the tube before and after the MAF.
Im wondering if I went to a 2 inch tube from the MAF to throttle body if the air coming in would travel faster.
Or Im wondering if the 3inch tube somehow messes up the vacuum effect since the MAF hole is smaller then 3 inches and then the air coming in thru the MAF is introduced to a 3 inch tube.

Hmmm, Its just crazy seeing that the air goes in the big funnel filter, then thru the tiny MAF, and then in this huge tube , and then in the throttle body. It just doesnt look like a smooth flight.

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That's deep! uhhh, i guess if you pinched a straw while you were sucking on it, it would hamper the suction. but you'd have to compare that amout of suction to a smaller straw. that's a crappy analogy, but your answer lies within physics. which, i don't know squat about! but i don't think the 3" tube affects the vacuum enough to lower hp.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEAH, maybe Im thinking too much.
but thanks!I'll leave it alone.

What about my throttle question?!!!
I have this bad habit of not flooring it all the way down when Im "on it".

------------------
-

-

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
like my father used to tell me, "the floor is there to stop your foot from going all the way through." i always put the "pedal to the metal" if i'm smokin' a Hondork.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well i don't race...on a track.
but to answer your third question: i think not. my HS CAI is 3" and as far as i know most CAI's are this diameter. your 2nd question had me thinking, though. if the diameter of the intake manifold is 3", then i would image the best performance would be no tubing. since this is unrealistic, the most air that can enter the intake is 3" worth. you could put a 6" tube on, but it would have to neck down to 3", therefore only that amout of air is being usurped. if i'm wrong, someone tell me.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
like my father used to tell me, "the floor is there to stop your foot from going all the way through." i always put the "pedal to the metal" if i'm smokin' a Hondork.</font>
Ha Ha !!! YEAH!!! I must pass that father-to-son tradition in my family!!
Im stompin on that sucka next time!

------------------

-

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
hello ladies and gents.

my 1st question is:
When you guys race do you slam the accelerator to the floor to get full throttle on each shift?

2nd question kinda technical:
Does the size of the intake tubing make a difference on performance?

My lazy/cheap ass has a 3 inch PVC intake.
Is this too much?
</font>
No I shift normally when I road race. But I am either on full throttle or full brakes.

CAIs for the SR20DE are 3 inch in diameter, whether it is a hotshot or a PR. PVC is not a good idea considering that the temps reached for a CAI under racing conditions are 135 deg F. But that is in 100 degree F in the desert.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts