SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I'm relying on the experts. I bought Unorthodox pullies last month and I haven't had the time, or a nice day without rain, to install them. I did go to the one web page where the guy had directions and they are going to be very helpful. Well to put a long story short I tried getting the crank bolt off and I couldnt'. I tried turning it left and then right, but no luck. I asked my brother if he could get a impact gun and he said not to use one to get the crank off. I was using just a ratchet with a bar attached to the handle for more leverage. Why cna't I get this off?? Does it come off like normal threads? My repair manual doens't say. Can someone help me out? I hope to get them on this weekend :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I've heard it's like the hardest bolt to get loose on the whole car. An impact wrench is preferred from what I've heard. Three foot pipes should work though

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yes, it is a normal direction bolt. I just jacked the car up and put it on jackstands, took the wheel off, and then had my little brother step on the brake as hard as he could with the transmission in 5th. I used a wrench that was a little over a foot long. Sat on the ground and braced my feet against the body of the car somewhere, and just leaned back and pulled. It was hard, but I'm no weightlifter...

·
_______
3,640 Posts
An impact gun is the way to go. I used one on my motor er... motors and no problems at all. Just make sure to replace the front seal when you replace the pullie.

Mike
98sentraSE Turbo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WEll I tried installing the pullies today, and guess what,.. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!! I can't emphasize that enough. First of all I couldn't get the power steering pump out, the one bolt just wouldnt' come lose. 2nd of all I tried putting the power steering belt on ( the Gates one cuase I did get the crank on) and it woudlnt' tighten all the way, now I can't get that adjuster bolt lose to make it tighter, and now I can't get the alternator back into its place, I've been working on the alternator now for 2 hrs. Ive been working on this project for the past 6 hrs. Myabe it doenst' help that I'm working on this alone. Oh well just thought I would keep you up to date as to how things are going.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Sorry man. I know doing stuff like that the first time sucks. Just removed and resealed my upper oil pan today for the second time. What a breeze compared to the first time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just to let you all know I finally got them all on today, with help from my big brother. Do I feel a difference? A little. From the test drive thatI took today, I did take notice she does spool up a bit quicker and u can hit the rev limiter quicker then before. I did feel a difference going uphill, just a small one but it was there. Was it worth the aggervation?? Hmm well I dont' know, if I knew it would of been a pain to put on in the first place I wouldnt' have done it. Let's hope the cams I put in soon go better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey 200 SE-R, did you put on the 2 or 4 pulley set? I put on the 4 pulley set and man was that a M#^$&&@!*%#@..!! It took me a while to get the PS pump and alternator one on. Don't know if it was worth the extra 2 horsepower though. Oh well glad you got them on.

gpser96

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I did put all 4 on and I agree it was a PAIN IN THE ASS!!. Your right, not sure if it was worth putting those 2 on, well at least the power steering, I tried not doing that one but I couldnt' do it. the only thing that made the alternator hard was trying to get that long mounting bolt back in. I think it took me 12 hrs to do it in 2 days, even with help from my bro. But I do notice a difference, especially when my intake kicks in around 4, but when it got to around 5.5rpm she took her longer to rev up to a higher rpm, but not with the pullies,.. its smooth as silk, but u know what sucks, I can only do 109 :-(

·
Registered
496 Posts
109..!! Ahhh i remeber those days, one day i raced a 85-86 Z28, layed the smack down until 109 and then he just cruised by me. I was so pissed i kept it floored and hit the limiter like 20 times buh buh buh buh buh buh etc., i agree its a pain. The wolf ECU will really give your car some stank, mine just rips now with all the mods. I haven't even been able to see how fast it will go, i have seen 142mph on the speedo and it was still pulling.

gpser96

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
142? Damn that's fast for a SE-R. Do you have a turbo on ur car? All I plan on doing is putting on bolt ons for more power. NOS sounds pretty cool but after putting on the pullies I don't know if I want to tackle something like that, plus I dont' what kind of strain it would put on the car, since it is a everyday driver I can't afford for something to break on it. Yeah I would love to go after some American crap out there like mustangs and camaros, even that damn 98 Cherokee that beat me,.. man I was pissed. I hope I'll be done by next year with her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts