SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm worried. Every since I bought my '93 Classic AUTOMATIC back in '95 the idling has been rough. Whenever I start the car it would rev up to 900rpm, then if I put it in drive it would waver (and sometimes die). Then if I put it into neutral the thing would rev and stay up at 1300 or so. I've read all the stuff about grounding the MAF (did that)but I'm a little confused about cleaning out the EGR valve. How the hell do you take that thing off to clean it?! It almost seems to be part of the freakin' engine bay. Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing (but based on the photos I am) can someone help me out with this? Thanks.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
try cleaning the Throttle body if you haven't already. Dunno about the other stuff. Some people disconnect the EGR too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
vacuum lines, broken or cracked cause rough idle .timing too if it's to retarted.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well with the tranny in D it will be a bit lower, mine is around 700 it seems. I think Eric and I set it a tad too low tho. But I would check your timing first then set your idle. I bet your timing is really low, if you notice that the car is SLOWWWWW off the line when if you step on it, then the timing is off. Then after you get the timing set, a total pain in the ass, check you idle. It will probaly be high, set it to about 850+- and then plug everything back up. If that doesnt fix it, check your vacume lines but I doubt that is the problem at idle. Nor the EGR should be doing that at idle. Clean out the TB, but mine has always been really clean dont know if it is a major problem with us or not. Make sure you do have a GOOD ground on the MAF....Eric had a 0.00 on Kojima's multimeter even he was impressed
. But i will bet its either timing or idle too low. Maybe a tune up issue also....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been religiously changing oil and stuff every 3 months (Mobil 1 Synthetic, of course)so I'm pretty sure the car is healthy. I recently had a smog check and the printout showed I was running 15-degrees, and I always use Unleaded+. I'll try Bowlcut's (Kevin? The only other red, AUTOMATIC SE-R here other than myself?
) method this weekend and see what gives. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts