SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search on this site and on google becasue I am curious as to why there are no SR20 crate engines. I know it may sound redneckish because I have the idea from the domestic V8's but still. I think there would be a huge aftermarket for Nissan(or someone else for that matter) if SR20 crate engine were produced. Brand new SR20's built much stronger than the original and with or w/o a turbo. I've just been thinking a lot about it and maybe someday when I know what the hell I'm doing I could try something of the sort(it'll never happen). Anyone know of a reason why this doesn't happen or think it'd be as awesome as I do?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Simple answer: the market's not there for companies to make them.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Used JDM engine = 400ish...
Crate engine = over 1k I bet

What would you buy?

Chris

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I think a market isn't there because there has never been such a thing made. No one ever thought that a 4 cylinder would out run a V8 either. I mean a crate engine would be expensive but it would be brand new, not only that but companies could have engine which already have larger cams, lighter pistons, metal gaskets, etc... I think that if it happend and kits were created for these to be interchangeable that the market would grow. You know they now produce what you need to stick a chevy SB in a ford. I just think it would be great although highly unlikely, at least at this time.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Nismo654 said:
But I think a market isn't there because there has never been such a thing made.
The market for SR20 crate engines will develop only if there is a demand for them. Until then, spend your $375 and get a low-mile DE from Soko.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
They just started making Honda crate engines, but the market for honda engines is HUGE! I wouldnt doubt it if something was started up for rwd sr's, but thats where the market is centered right now...

-Josh

·
Registered
529 Posts
i had the same thought

give it a few years, then maybe we will see something

I would pay extra for a crate motor

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
new SR20 from Nissan is $5178.01 list price, there is no reman available yet, oh, and that is for the high port too.......

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
brian said:
new SR20 from Nissan is $5178.01 list price, there is no reman available yet, oh, and that is for the high port too.......
I am guessing..and for that price hoping that is a long block.

Nismo your idea would probably be put in motion by some company but us import guys have a very cheap alternative that domesticsdon't have, JDM's imported with low miles.

·
Banned
543 Posts
i wouldent say v8 crate engines and domestic cars are *******.u cant argue the power to $ ratio.i can get a 302 for 1000 bucks that puts out 350 hp and 330 foot pounds of torque.thats not ******* thats awesome.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
My dad works for dodge, and he just sold a dodge HEMI 472 crate engine for 13,500.00 . However it makes 525 HP, and at least equal that torque right outta the crate, all you need is a carbureator(sp). However, I can ever image paying over $2k or so for a SR20 crate engine, much less over over $10K for something like that. Maybe if I was rich.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, seriously think about why crate V8's exist. The factory versions of these motors are usually very poorly executed. The record for a stock shortblock SR is over 500 whp. That's a little short of 600 crank hp. Call a couple of the die hard SR guys like Andreas Miko or JGY and see what they can get you. They're really all you need.

·
Banned
979 Posts
There is no market here (USA) for a SR20 crate motor. 95% of the FWD SR enthusiasts are cheap. Period. Also, look at it this way: A lot of honda crate motors are built for boost. A stock SR can take more abuse than and B-series can take. This alone makes it not worth building a crate motor and selling. All an SR really needs for 550WHP is forged pistons and GTIR rods, and a metal headgasket. Maybee head studs and piddley **** like that, but nothing like a re-sleeve or anything extensive. Basically wnat im trying to say is buy some internals and have them installed. The only reason honda has crate motors is from the huge aftermarket and demand for it.....Basically calling up JGY oir Andreas and buying a built SR is like buying a crate motor already, just the fact that they dont have to make so many up ahead of time to suit the demand and aftermarket, because basically there is none.
just my $.02

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well the idea is great but the cost is way too much. We offer something like that but not a "new" engine. Just several levels of "build" already done and ready to ship.

If a new stock longblock didn't cost that much, it would be nice to take a "new" stock engine and build it for turbo duty or whatever the situation calls for and offer it as a brand new "crate engine". Unfortunately to do it with the current cost of factory Nissan engines the motor would cost about $6500.00 all said and done. That's more than most people have into their SE-R INCLUDING the car. LOL

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I know even if they were produced a lot of us(me) wouldn't have the money todo it but I just think that it would be a great idea because apparently some people have money(how anyone can spend 40K on a civic awes me). But on the V8 note...I'm not saying they are ******* at all. I nearly love V8's as much as sr's but 1)insurance and 2) gas mileage. Besides There aren't many V8's(for the price) that is half of what my classic is. I just figured some would feel that wanting things done the way they are common in US would make them start with the ******* idea, but then again it is that which makes our country pretty great. Thanks for all the responses and yes when it comes time for a new engine for me...it will be a JDM SR20DE highport going in for that wonderful $500 price:)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Its311Pete said:
I am guessing..and for that price hoping that is a long block.
that is long block without the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, starter, alternator, ect, ect, just pan to v/c and everything in between

·
8,148 Posts
I think New Dimesions sells different stages of VW motors.

Not a crate motor (Cause I believe a crate is new from the manufacturer), but a good built motor for like $2G's is a bargin to me. I would spend $2G's on a 11:1 built motor putting out around 210 FWHP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts