SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

After some mountain driving, I realized how badly I want to get cross-drilled rotors... Do you guys have any suggestions? Something fairly cheap would be awesome :biggthump

I did find some Stillen ones, but they are only for front and cost ~$200 a rotor

Thanks!

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
why did you decide on slotted rotors after to did some mountain driving? its doubtfull slotted rotors will help if your having brake fade.

i suggest snagging some nx2000 brakes for up front, some good pads (EBC's for pretty well for the price) and getting good DOT4 brake fluid and doing a full flush.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was starting to go down hill, I was using engine break for one, but there were cars infront of me so I did have to break a bit too...

So after a bit I noticed my car sliding even though the break was pressed... from what I believe happened is, the break pads were starting to slide on the rotors...

My coworker found two different rotors... link 1, link 2

After reading into the description of link 1, I knew why my car wasn't stopping so well...

So thats why I would like to get the cross-drilled/slotted rotors... Plus they do give a nice look to the car :)

·
4,507 Posts
not trying to bust your bubble or anything but rotors are the last thing id spend money on. go with new pads and brake fluid first.

if you do get new rotors tho. get slotted, dont get cross drilled.

·
t-top whore
540 Posts
^^^+1 don't bother with the drilled ones they will crack, just go with slotted ones or get some good brake pads and flush out fluid.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not trying to bust your bubble or anything but rotors are the last thing id spend money on. go with new pads and brake fluid first.

if you do get new rotors tho. get slotted, dont get cross drilled.
If i was afraid for my bubble to bust I would never go outside or post in the forums :tongue: lol

This is why I post and ask for people with knowledge to help me do the best I can for this awesome car :biggthump

I will look into that, I already put 10K on the car since I bought it, and well the previous owner said he had all new pads etc, but I guess maybe not...

Thanks for you help classicaddict and oliverr87! :biggthump

·
4,507 Posts
no problem. ill be looking for people to do alittle mountain driving with when i move down to waynesboro.

found this kick ass KICK ASS road right at the entrance to skyline drive. these pics were taken on the end were it turns into gravle. but before that its paved really patchy but smooth its crazy.
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=194152&highlight=mountain+pics

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problem. ill be looking for people to do alittle mountain driving with when i move down to waynesboro.

found this kick ass KICK ASS road right at the entrance to skyline drive. these pics were taken on the end were it turns into gravle. but before that its paved really patchy but smooth its crazy.
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=194152&highlight=mountain+pics
Ah I did 33 West, but only been once on 33 East on my car... Where exactly is that? I wouldn't mind taking my gf up there ;)

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
NX2000 calipers, rotors. Altima master cylinder, and some steel braided lines, and you'll be stopping a lot better. I wouldn't even waste time with the cross drilled calipers.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
How do you guys rate the Fast Brakes kit?? Reason I ask is because of the rotors that are included in the kit... I just ordered the 11 inch brake kit for my B14

Cheers-
Erich

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
Covert...

You do not need even slotted rotors... most of the guys I know who roadrace do not even use them.

What you DO need is better pads, fluid, and TIRES. Tires will make the best improvement in braking short of pads.

Just because the PO said he put new pads does not mean they were any good. A cheapo set from PepBoiz is still crap and will fade quickly.

Hawks are good but not recommended on a DD car. Axis Ultimates are another good choice.

Get yourself a set of Brembo blanks from NOPI and you'll be set.

Oh yeah... get some better tires too.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Covert...

You do not need even slotted rotors... most of the guys I know who roadrace do not even use them.

What you DO need is better pads, fluid, and TIRES. Tires will make the best improvement in braking short of pads.

Just because the PO said he put new pads does not mean they were any good. A cheapo set from PepBoiz is still crap and will fade quickly.

Hawks are good but not recommended on a DD car. Axis Ultimates are another good choice.

Get yourself a set of Brembo blanks from NOPI and you'll be set.

Oh yeah... get some better tires too.
Awesome! Thanks :biggthump .

I think my tires are still in descent shape, good amount of thread left... I will see what I can look into about new pads etc :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts