SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think it is an essential part of owning a High Horsepower SR20 vehicle! My tranny has lasted numerous 1/4 passes on 24.5x8x13 slicks, 6000 rpm 2 step launches, and numerous dyno runs! My cryotreated tranny has lasted 15,000 miles so far! It is worth every cent!

------------------
http://www.sentra.net/solm/august01/louis.shtml

Louis Anaya

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb

12.0 @ 118.77

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so with that being said what is a ballpark figure on the cost? Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Did you send off the Gearset, or did you have to disassemble the gears? What about case flex, what did you do about that. Thanks..

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure since I'm about to boost the $hit out of my motor I'm going to need the tranny to hold it. I've heard the stories of trannies breaking and I want to do whatever it takes to possible eliminate it.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Chris Parker at SR20 Development can give you a quote for what it costs. I had my case welded and the gears cryo-treated and shotpeened. But even that probably won't be enough eventually... but it will help a lot. I don't recommend turbocharging your car without beefing up the tranny.

When I put the DET into my NX, it developed 5th gear popout one month after the install. Yay.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just got off the phone with SR20 Development. Basically what it seems like I'm going to do is 1st and foremost. NO power shifting into 3rd!. lol But I'm going to probably go ahead and buy an extra tranny and get it beefed up. That way when I blow my tranny, and apparently I will. I'll have the new one to swap in. He also mentioned something about a package that's going to be coming out the beginning of the year that they are hoping will be a better solution. As far as getting your current gears cryo-treated, and shot peened. It doesn't make sense to do it if you have higher miles, or have hard driven miles. You should get a new gear set and go from there. Am I right?

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
I busted up 3rd, found new gears ($200) and dropped them off with the case at Pineapple racing (pineappleracing.com)... he did all the work (cleaning the case etc.), had them shotpeened and cryo'd, reassembled it all and had it back to me for $450...

·
Registered
385 Posts
How much does Shot Peening help the Gears. Does it help as much as CRYO. Yall have a Very well known fact that the 3rd gear is weak in your car. I am only the 2nd Miata (on the miata forum) to do what I did to mine. I am on my 4th tranny in a year. The first 2 were schynro problems for 3rd and 5th. This one completely blew 2nd gear.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=814513&a=13766355&f=0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts