SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it. I had a custom crush-bend 2 1/4" exhaust installed on my '96 G20 yesterday. Here is the breakdown:

- 25" Thrush Magna Glasspack w/2 1/4" in/out(20" canister) flanged on both ends and bolted directly to the OEM cat.
- 2 1/4" crushbend piping (to keep costs low, I did not go mandrel)
- Borla 2 1/4" in/out Turbo muffler
- Cheap ass $7 tip from Advance Auto

I had Rod at Muffler & Tire Center in Zanesville, OH weld a flange connection at the same point as the OEM rear muffler section just in case I wanted to put the OEM back on for daily driving.

First impression was "Uh OH!" It was loud. Especially at the 3000 RPM range and WOT. At this time, I did not have a tip on the Borla, so the exhaust exited approx. 6" behind the rear bumper cover under the car. I started to think bout it and realized the exhaust sounds were resonating under the car and causing extremely loud 'in-car' resonance. Under the assumption that this was the problem, I went to the local Advance Auto, picked up a cheap ass $7 tip and installed it. Voila' Awesome. The 'in-car' resonance was gone completely. The exhaust is nice and quiet. Sometimes at idle, I can not even tell the Borla is on the car.

Anyhow, I am very happy with this setup. The only thing I am wanting to do is to purchase a nicer tip and get rid of the cheap one before it rusts out.

Total cost (rounded):
1. 25" Thrush Magna Glasspack $15 (JEG's High Performance - W.Broad St. Columbus, OH)

2. Borla 2 1/4" Turbo $90 shipped (Husker High Performance Exhaust - online purchase)

3. Custom crush-bend piping, flanges, gaskets, etc. $160 (Muffler & Tire Center - Zanesville, OH)

4. Walker Performance Tip AKA: Cheap ass tip $7 (local Advance Auto)

TOTAL: $272 Woohoo!

Ok, enough rambling!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2 1/4" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How does it sound and feel?? Notice any difference?</font>
Well, it seems to accelerate and idle much smoother. Can't really tell you what performance increases I received yet. I have not had the car to a track since I bought it stock and now that I have mods on it, I would'nt be able to do a comparison, but I can most definitely feel an increase in power. Oh, and it sounds great!

That's 'bout it!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2 1/4" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi when I install my catback (2.25 mandrel bent)I did not notice any diference exept the noise ,then I went to a track and my times impruve a little bit (o.10) 1/4 mile ,,I thinks the catbacks are good for 3-5 hp if you dont have other mods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts