SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1996 200sx SE-R (lowport). I had a messed up lowport head so i bought a JDM SR20DE and when i got it the Block was in bad shape. but the rest was perfect.. so i mixed and matched the 2 engines. taking the BEST of BOTH engines and puting them together.

This is what i ended up with.,.. JDM HIGHPORT HEAD with JDM HIGHPORT IM, USDM Header (keeping O2 but CRIMPING the EGR pipe shut, USDM Sensors, Stock 96 200sx ser wire harness, Deleting the EGR crap, USDM Distributer, USDM BLOCK.

so anyway.. It is IN TIME. and it RUNS.. BUT it WILL NOT hold an idle. if you let it try and idle it will just start losing RPMS untill about 8 or 900 then it will start jumping and shaking really bad and go below 500 then die. and it does this every time. I have a KNOCK SENSOR light, and i think the sensor is broken anyway, would this make this type of response? or would the knocksensor just be an indicator and not effect anything?

it kind acts like a vacume leak but im at a loss... please help/.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I believe if the knock sensor is malfunctioning, the engine will think something is screwed up and pull timing. Somebody corrct me if I'm wrong....

-Josh

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Also you can buy a vacuum gauge for cheap from most autoparts store...might want to look into that just in case

-Josh

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced the Knock sensor.. checked the timing but cams are IN TIME but yet the timing on the car jumps all over the place.. and the idle is SCREWY

·
Registered
724 Posts
Your ecu harness fit? 96 harness compatible with JDM highport??..would have thought you would have to use an ecu and harness from 91-94, could be wrong though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
used the sensors from the 94-99 harness.. and to the other guy, I DELETED THE EGR! grr.. i checked to see if it slipped a tooth and reinstalled the cams.. well its less violent of an idle now but still BAD.. and i can hear the lope like a top fuel drag car. which i dont think is the way it should be. still screwy timing when i check it./

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i disconnect the TPS, the timming shows 15* but when i connect it, the timing jumps from 15* to 21* to 26* 18* and all over the place.. also goes down as low as 3* 9* and 7*

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lmao i think SOME of the bad idle was a fully Clogged Cat.. cause on the way home today i was doing about 110 mph and when i turned the radio off when i slowed down i heard the exhaust.. it was like the header had just fallen off. when i stopped to inspect i found NO LEAKING. and nothing was disconnected.. it does look like the flex pipe exploded and started to burn though. sounds like im running open header. its funny to me cause i have another exhast but it sounds BADDDDDdddddddddddddd.. hope its just the exhaust and not the engine. sounds like the flex pipe though..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts