SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a custom exhaust put on tommorow, as opposed to the Greddy that I was going with before. They're removing the resonator, and all of the other piping sans the cat, and replacing it with 2 and a quarter inch piping. The muffler is a straight flow through design. Has anyone had any troubles with custom jobs before? What are the pluses and minuses of going custom as opposed to a Greddy or the like, except for the obvious?

------------------
200sx -==- Looks. Speed. Thrills.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the cons are (IMO) you'll probably get non-shiny piping and you might have to take it back for a tweak here or there. other than that i don't think there's a difference, 'cept the $$.

------------------
stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, EL indiglo HVAC, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
The only con I see in your set up is the removal of the resonator. If you do not mind it being loud and possibly have that rasparasprasp buzzing sound at WOT, then stick with what you have. I would suggest putting a Thrush glasspack #24201 in place of the old resonator. It has a 2.25" opening on each end, has a perforated core and is only $15. This will reduce the resonance in the cabin of the car and drastically reduce the WOT buzzing sound from a open exhaust.

Check this out:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/000421.html

A lot of info in that thread, and there is another thread listed inside that thread about custom cat-backs with even more info!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey Jeff!!! Alright a local guy! What color is your car? I may have seen you scootin around town. I drive a black 200 with some 17" Konig Tantrums. Give me a shout, we will have to tool around some time!

By the way, I ran an Apexi Universal Muffler then had Denny at Louisville Brake and Muffler put in a single 2.5" pipe from cat back and removed the resonator. He did a nice job and only charged me a pack of smokes! Hes a cool guy, maybe we should go see what he would do yours for!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, 91 Cams, JWT CPU COMING SOON!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey Stilleto, you dont happen to have the part number handy for the K&N crankcase filter do ya? I have the catalog here in front of me but cannot narrow it down! TIA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ProjectSE-R:
Hey Jeff!!! Alright a local guy! What color is your car? I may have seen you scootin around town. I drive a black 200 with some 17" Konig Tantrums. Give me a shout, we will have to tool around some time!

By the way, I ran an Apexi Universal Muffler then had Denny at Louisville Brake and Muffler put in a single 2.5" pipe from cat back and removed the resonator. He did a nice job and only charged me a pack of smokes! Hes a cool guy, maybe we should go see what he would do yours for!

</font>
Hey! I also went to Louisville Brake and Muffler... Man, they are hella cool... Yeah, I decided to keep the resonator, and he just installed the exhaust... It sounds GOOD, not honda-esque like a mad bee or anything... I got the muffler from cool cars... It looks ricey, but, hey, it does the job. I can actually feel a big difference in 3rd gear now. The stock muffler was ridiculously restrictive.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have 2.5 vrom the trubo to the flex pipe then 3 inch all the way back. never had any problems at all. i decided to go with the thermal muffler, nice and deep. you don't really hear it at idle but you feel it rumbling the car. at wot, now that is a different story.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nothin wrong with a little rice look, as long as its not the rice SOUND. I am getting ready to change to a different exhaust here within a week or two. Jeff, you ever drive by the U of L area?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ProjectSE-R:
Hey Stilleto, you dont happen to have the part number handy for the K&N crankcase filter do ya? I have the catalog here in front of me but cannot narrow it down! TIA!</font>
uhhh...dude...i dunno. but i think the diameter is 3/8". here's the link to the different sizes. K&N Crankcase Vent Filter. sorry, i ain't the best w/ part #'s.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks Stilleto!

Jeff, I know that Ohio Valley has Import/Domestic showdowns every first Friday of the month and I think I heard somewhere that Wednesdays are Tune and Time nights. I know that Greg In WV frequents Car Wars in Clay City, Ky when he can, he is a busy man. I have been meaning to hook up with him at one of them but something always comes up for both of us. I am forever running around UofL, My house is right off Cardinal Boulevard. We ought to try to meet up with Greg one weekend when Car Wars is running again, I am sure it will be fun as HE!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, mine has a good throaty sound. I like it a lot. And yes, I'm around UofL everynow and then, maybe you could give me a few tips and pointers sometime. Any good race tracks around these parts?

------------------
200sx -==- Looks. Speed. Thrills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts