SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to replace the outer CV boot on a 91 SE-R. I have axle out and the old boot cut away. I found an inner snap ring and loosened it, but cannot see how to remove the outer CV joint from the shaft. I have done this on a Ford Tarus, but am stumped on the Se-R. Any Suggestions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
U need to 1st wash off any grease U might have, then take a RUBBER mallet and hit the end of the shaft- where all the balls are, and it should come right off. Its a Rzeppa type of joint, done MANNNY of these before, then U need to clean up the balls and all, slip the boot on, put all the grease in the boot, slide the end U took off back on the shaft and put the clips on, thats it.
Mike
Nissan Tech-used to be...

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
That would be Mike Jez. I forced him to reply so he was pissed and just put in that username LOL. He is trustable for this type of stuff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to tap the CV joint off to no avail. I consulter a manual and confirmed that it should be tapped off. I placed the axle in a vice and tapped with a punch. it will move in on the splined shaft, but will go back to the starting position and not move any further. I cleaned the joint and applied heat to the outer parts and ice to the shaft, again no luck. I hesitate to use more force for fear of damage. Note: To remove the axle from the bearing hub I had to apply heat and a puller to get it off. This was supposed to be a light tap proceedure also.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
if you got the money, just buy a new one. lots easier than doing it yourself. 15 min. job. 30 tops. have done many myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts