SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the passanger side CV joint boot. I haven't driven my car in two weeks cause of a torn boot. I began working on it last thurs, but not continuously due to a frantic schedule. The axle is out of the car night, and I can't figure out how to do this for the life of me. Dad says that he an get like a puller or something from autozone and that the joint off and then slide the boot on the axle and but the joint back on the axle. I don't know. Is that right? I'm so confused. I do however get new tranny fluid, so I'm try and get some Redline MT-90. Anyone changed the boot? suggestions? Even if you changed it and have no suggestion, let me know it's something I can do and not the dealer. The Hanyes manual said something to the effect of the joint not being able to take apart. I didn't quite understand so I don't know.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Don't even bother with it. Too much trouble. Just get another axle and return yours as a core. Bang, done.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Also you usually get a long ass warranty with the new axle as well so if another boot goes bad, then you are covered

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
I agree with Ben; I've replaced my axles probably 4 or 5 times. Autozone has a lifetime warranty so everytime I tear a boot or hurt a u-joint linkage I go down and order another one. Running slicks puts some wear on my front end. Once you get the swap procedure down it becomes second nature.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
damn, I'm not THAT good! ****, my best time is 30 minutes; of course, I dick around alot...

G

·
0 Posts
since no one answered your question i will,there are two ,chrome,rings that are around the boot it self,take them off,now you will be able to slide the boot off and the CV joint will come apart,take parts or brake cleaner and clean off the joint it self,then slide the new boot on the shaft first,fill with grease,dont forget to put some in the joint itself ,the put the CV joint together,put the new rings that hold the boot on in place and you are done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is finished. While I was at school, dad rented a puller from Autozone and he took the joint apart and then put the boot on, and put it back together. He has some experience with our old POS Sable. It didn't sound like it was trouble at all. I took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and all is well for now. We have to put new fluid it tomorrow but other than that we are done.
SIDE NOTE
I have the PR CAI and correct me if I'm wrong, but can that make the exhaust sound deeper? I got out and he drove it, and the exhaust was deeper. I am 99% sure I wasn't hearing things. The exhaust sounded deeper and the intake growled. It was cool.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I had the left boot rip open on my front axle, I went around looking for quotes on a replacement boot, and everyone warned that if the boot has already ripped that dirt and grime is in the axle, so change the axle. Instead I went to a place in Hampton VA called Bullet Axle rebuilders. They totally rebuilt my entire axle for $179.00. My front axle looked and performed like new. I also get to keep the original part on my car.
My car has has LSD and most car part stores were telling me my axle was a dealer part only. You might want to look up an axle rebuilder. These guys did fine by me.

Nigel/95G20t

1 - 9 of 9 Posts