SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Drivers side, I pulled on the middle axle so hard that it ripped the seal off of the green "oil filter" looking thing. I pry'd the green thing apart from the transmission about an inch. But it wont pull out any more. Any help would be great.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Bryan Smith said:
Alright Drivers side, I pulled on the middle axle so hard that it ripped the seal off of the green "oil filter" looking thing. I pry'd the green thing apart from the transmission about an inch. But it wont pull out any more. Any help would be great.

Do a search about the GRM $2004 challenge car being sold. I beleive that the axle was stuck like that in the NX that GP sold, and they said what it was after they got it out of there.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Use a prybar. put a small block of wood between the tranny and axle and have at it. Use the wood to cushion the force on the tranny.

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
Its311Pete said:
Use a prybar. put a small block of wood between the tranny and axle and have at it. Use the wood to cushion the force on the tranny.

yeah, what he said... mine came out pretty easy, but i was prepared with the prybar just in case. i've heard quite a few horror stories about those axles not wanting to come out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its311Pete said:

Sorry but that still didnt work. I've tried everything, and not only that but my crow bar was bending while i was pulling on it. Friend of mine suggested we just turn the car so the driver side of the car is facing the driveway, and tie a rope around his hitch, and the other end around my cv joint (that is now in 3 peices) and pull. Thats when I knew to give up. Luckily my uncle owns a shop and has a lot more access to better tools then what I have. Not only that but this body is in very bad shape. So he and I are going to fix all the dents, rust, she'll be coming back good as new. Except I have to drive a 89 honda accord for a beater till I get the se-r back :mad:

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Bryan Smith said:
Sorry but that still didnt work. I've tried everything, and not only that but my crow bar was bending while i was pulling on it. Friend of mine suggested we just turn the car so the driver side of the car is facing the driveway, and tie a rope around his hitch, and the other end around my cv joint (that is now in 3 peices) and pull. Thats when I knew to give up. Luckily my uncle owns a shop and has a lot more access to better tools then what I have. Not only that but this body is in very bad shape. So he and I are going to fix all the dents, rust, she'll be coming back good as new. Except I have to drive a 89 honda accord for a beater till I get the se-r back :mad:

dude, did you search and find that thread i told you about. the same think happened to GP and thats y he sold the NX, and they figured out the problem, it wasnt too big of a deal, but i dont recall off hand. good luck though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
djmayhem said:
dude, did you search and find that thread i told you about. the same think happened to GP and thats y he sold the NX, and they figured out the problem, it wasnt too big of a deal, but i dont recall off hand. good luck though.

Yeah man, I searched for it, and found out that he didnt like that he was physically hurt by trying to get it out. But never found why it wouldnt come out. . Find it for me man hah. I searched and read all the threads containing anything relating to stuck cv axles.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
In my experience it's a combination of push, twist, pull and wiggle with my bare hands.. IT's finesse, not force.. This was after prying on them had failed...

·
Registered
420 Posts
A trick I always use is to get a large screwdriver/prybar, then pry the axle as far as it will go and take up all the slack to the point where it feels like there is no more slack but won't go any further. Then use a hammer and rap on the end of the prybar/screwdriver a few times while holding it in that spot... takes like 5 seconds to get any axle out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts