SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my D2 coilovers yesterday. 9k front, 7k rear, extra set of 5k springs in case its too stiff. Also got the pillow ball mounts.

$850 shipped to hawaii!!!

They should be here in mid april, ill let you guys know when i get them.

nathan

·
Too busy to post
600 Posts
sr20sleeper said:
Ordered my D2 coilovers yesterday. 9k front, 7k rear, extra set of 5k springs in case its too stiff. Also got the pillow ball mounts.

$850 shipped to hawaii!!!

They should be here in mid april, ill let you guys know when i get them.

nathan

I'm on that too. :D Mid april can't come soon enough, riding on bumpstops suck.
Damn you got some stiff springs, I went with 5k F and 7k R and Front PBMs. Are you supposed to have higher spring rates up front? He said you can swap front and rear springs anyway, so I am just checking if I should swap them before the install.
R you planning on installing anything with the D2s?

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im gonna deal with the stiff ride, i talked to some 240sx guys with the same rates and they say its not too bad. I figure since our car tends to understeer, that means the front looses grip first cause there is more weight up there. So if you increase the spring rates in the front, you cause the car to become more neutral in handling. Thats why i put the stiffer springs in the front. Plus, i ordered an extra set of 5k springs in case its too stiff, then i can move the 7k to the front and put the 5k in the back. I will be installing nx200 brakes also when i put in the coilovers. Possibly some aftermarket sway bars, that just depends how much food i can live without this month. haha

nathan

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Im in on this too. I am with you guys and the agony of waiting a month now for them to get here. I got the 7kg/mm front and rears. Got FWD Drift?

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
NeedMore$4SE-R said:
I'm on that too. :D Mid april can't come soon enough, riding on bumpstops suck.
Damn you got some stiff springs, I went with 5k F and 7k R and Front PBMs. Are you supposed to have higher spring rates up front? He said you can swap front and rear springs anyway, so I am just checking if I should swap them before the install.
R you planning on installing anything with the D2s?
I've never done it, but from what I've read (and many have said the same thing), putting stiffer springs on your rear will make the rear end dangerously twitchy. But they say that you can switch springs from front to rear on the b13, so just use the springs you'll have and go with 7 front 5 rear.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as i know, nobody has installed and reviewd them for the sentra yet. I have read reviews for the 240sx and subaru... Those were both very good reviews. Kinda taking a chance on these, i hope it works out for the best.

nathan

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
I'm sure once somebody gets them on a b-series it'll be all over the forum.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
From what i have read most run a stiffer rear spring in a front wheel drive car. The reason this is done is to make it behave more like a RWD car and have a tendency to oversteer rather than understeer. Although it is "safer" to understeer in most situations, a car that is more likely to oversteer is going to be quicker in a road course situation.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
NoClassic said:
From what i have read most run a stiffer rear spring in a front wheel drive car. The reason this is done is to make it behave more like a RWD car and have a tendency to oversteer rather than understeer. Although it is "safer" to understeer in most situations, a car that is more likely to oversteer is going to be quicker in a road course situation.
Hmmm, honestly i didnt research it much. Im not sure why a stiffer rear suspension would make the rear lose grip first but it could be the case.

Im gonna post in some of the other sections and try to get some answers.

nathan

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
incredibly stiff rear springs in a drag race is good, though, because it doesn't allow as much weight transfer to the rear, which maintains your grip. But try to corner with those same springs and you're toast (so I've read).

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
They gave me some good links to read about. Apparently its not as simple as just making the front stiffer or softer. You have to strike a balance. Stiffening the suspension reduces body roll which keeps the tire flat on the ground, which is good. However, at a certain point the increased intensity of the weight transfer overrides the decrease in body roll and the stiffness actually works against you because there is limited force (impulse) that the tire can take. So what i concluded is that im gonna go 7F, 5R, and then get an adjustable rear swaybar to tune in some more oversteer if need be. Honestly, im not sure at what point one factor overrides the other, i guess thats what r&d is for. Its gonna depend on tires, the arc of the corner, all kinds of weight distribution stuff like braking or lift throttle. This is interesting stuff, not as simple as i thought and prolly not what you would expect... that at a certain point making the suspension stiffer adversely effects the limits of the car. Good thing with the D2, it is 36 way adjustable so we should be able to find a good rebound setting to balance it well.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/swaybars.html

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/for....php?forumid=27

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/

nathan

·
Too busy to post
600 Posts
Those are good links :D ! Thanks for the post, I 'm gonna try 5 up front 7 in rear. I want to feel it before I throw a Sway bar on it. or swap the springs around. I also have a large amount of weight in the trunk not stock.~70lbs+.

Check this about the Dave point.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/editors/technobabble/0205scc_techno/

I remember reading something more in depth in a mag, Ill look in the "library" ....I'll post if I find it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Running a stiffer rear spring is ok in a fwd car...as long as the tires can take it....something with a really stiff sidewall will transition very smoothly into oversteer, which is what you want of course. Team RTR runs way stiffer springs in the rear of their world challange series cars than the front, and they run on toyo street tires. What you would want to do is couple that stiff spring setup with a good urethane bushing setup and adjustable sway bar in the rear, you want everything in the rear of the car to be rock solid if you're going to run that kind of setup. Stiff front springs+ Stiff rear springs+stiff subframe+stiff sway bar+super good dampning= fwd race car that's all you have to remember :D hehe.

I had a ground control/kyb setup on my sentra before it got stolen, which was setup at 400lb-in front/500lb-in rear with a st sway bars and adjustable rear endlinks, full urethane bushing set, and azenis tires...the shocks were overpowered, but on a road course the car was extremely neutrol under full power through a corner, and during off throttle cornering would transition to oversteer whenever I wanted, power back onto the throttle, and the rear would tuck back in...fun setup, and I miss it :D hehe...but I had to test the waters in rwd for a while.

Anyways good luck.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I would try to get whatever rates are close to the 375/300 spring rates of the Ground Controls. That seems to be a good rate for track and I like it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts