SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARRRRRG 6months old and the check engine light comes on while cruising home at 45mph - WTF?

Venting.....

Chris

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
make sure your gas cap is tightened....just a precaution before tearing your hair out.

when i worked for enterprise, 95% of the time, loose gas caps made check engine lights come on..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had that happen before on my '98 actually it was the EVAP canister on that one, but I'm aware of that - its been tight, I'm on a 1/4 tank now and filled up a while back but shes tight....

Wish it was something I could see/hear/check
damn computers :p

Chris

G

·
you can check it, put the computer into diagnostic mode and read the fault off your check light? if you give me the code i can check it first thing tomorrow and tell you what it is.
chris.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
NismoSER,

Why do you say tighten the gas cap?? What is the function of a gas cap besides the obvious.. I can only guess it keeps vapors out of the environment or acts somehow to pressurize the tank.. Since the gas level is always decreasing i don't understand how it maintains pressure as air space increases..

My engine dies in hard cornering with less than 1/4 tank.. Could a new gas cap help?..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ODBII cars have a pressurized fuel tank/system and a in tank fuel temp sensor. If you leave the gas cap of or if its leaky and you start the car you'll get a nice new light on your dash :p

My '98 200sx had problems with the EVAP system and apparently it stores gas vapors and releases them back into the intake at certain times from what I understand - which is emissions related...

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts