SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 91 just started cracking earlier this year. I was wandering if anyone else has had any luck on repairing it or somehow covering it up. I know JC Whitney use to carry dash covers but that would be a last resort.

Darren

·
jo mom
502 Posts
are you wearing one of those retro helmets from the 1970's. Is it gold with glitter paint...

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helmet

Yeah the helmet looks to be of the 70's decent. I don't have a helmet yet so I have to use one of the car clubs helmet.

BTW I make sure to wash my hair as soon as I get back from running. I need a cheap helmet, Anyone got one laying around?

Darren

·
jo mom
502 Posts
i would even worry about a cracked dash. i have a whole list of minor cosmetic problems like that. you could find whole new dash. mine is separating by the defrost ducts. oh well

i used to have a nice open face gold/silver/glitter 70's helmet with flames. my parents threw it out..

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
aw man, come on, no reason to bring up the past,i dont wanna have to think about my crack in the dashboard :D

I think i will just look for another one at a junkyard, probably best solution.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Re: Helmet

Its311Pete said:
Yeah the helmet looks to be of the 70's decent. I don't have a helmet yet so I have to use one of the car clubs helmet.

BTW I make sure to wash my hair as soon as I get back from running. I need a cheap helmet, Anyone got one laying around?

Darren
I'm putting together a group buy for helmets for our local Autocross club and I spotted an open face helmet M95 on racerwholsale.com for $69.95 Pretty good price for a helmet that will be good for the next 15 years. Unless you plan on road racing then you will want an SA rated helmet.

Art

·
Registered
195 Posts
Andy92RubyClassic - I have a '92 that had the same problem with the dash seperating from the defrost ducts. If you can get the dash hot enough, preferably during a seriously hot day you can fix it. Depending on where you live you may have to wait until next summer. Anyway, I fixed the dash buy heating up the dash with a hair dryer on a hot day until it was fairly flexible and applied apoxy underneath. It took a while to work it back under the ducts, but it will go back. After that I placed some weight on top of the area for 24 hours. I made that repair last year and haven't had any problems with it.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
I had a friend who toke his dash out (Old V-6 200sx) and covered it with black tweed, used some very good upholstery glue. He was going to do it in red but I convinced him not too. It really looks good, can't really tell it's tweed until you get up on it. I would consider this a last resort and only if you had very large cracks. Once you start sprayin' the glue on your dash there is no turning back. The guy that I bought my '91 from toke this car to a shop and they glued the crack and put a brace in the window to hold the crack together. He really didn't know what the did to secure it but kinda sounds like that epoxy idea.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
that 70 dollar helmet is only xxsmall and black... i got my full face helmet for 129 which is all i can afford and i am assuming should do fine considering im only gonna be able to autocross.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
ziegler2000 said:
Andy92RubyClassic - I have a '92 that had the same problem with the dash seperating from the defrost ducts. If you can get the dash hot enough, preferably during a seriously hot day you can fix it. Depending on where you live you may have to wait until next summer. Anyway, I fixed the dash buy heating up the dash with a hair dryer on a hot day until it was fairly flexible and applied apoxy underneath. It took a while to work it back under the ducts, but it will go back. After that I placed some weight on top of the area for 24 hours. I made that repair last year and haven't had any problems with it.
wow you are quite devoted.. thanks for the encouragement.. what funny is that you only notice it looking from the outside in..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts