SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its kinda off topic but I need some suggestions:
Im renting a Jag for my 1 year anniversary and Hertz says that I have to have a credit card. I only have a debit card but its a Visa check card. It doesnt say check card anywhere on it and it looks just like a real Visa credit card. Do you guys think that Hertz will go for it or do you think they will deny me? I dont know if they are going to run it or what. But Im hoping for the best. I have a good $3,500 in my checking account and the guy at Hertz says that they just run a $40 deposit. Any suggestions?
Has anybody rented a car with a debit card before? Thank you so much!!!!

[This message has been edited by SmoothDaddyFig (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congratulations on you anniversary. I am getting married in June of 2002.

The Visa check card SHOULD go through without any hitches. Just to play it safe call Hertz and ask them. I almost always use my check card in credit card situations (I hate knowing I have debt). Give them a call and ask a general question...it won't hurt.

Good luck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothDaddyFig:
I know its kinda off topic but I need some suggestions:
Im renting a Jag for my 1 year anniversary and Hertz says that I have to have a credit card. I only have a debit card but its a Visa check card. It doesnt say check card anywhere on it and it looks just like a real Visa credit card. Do you guys think that Hertz will go for it or do you think they will deny me? I dont know if they are going to run it or what. But Im hoping for the best. I have a good $3,500 in my checking account and the guy at Hertz says that they just run a $40 deposit. Any suggestions?
Has anybody rented a car with a debit card before? Thank you so much!!!!

</font>

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nx2kPA,
hey, hope you have a great wedding!!! Congradulations!!

Well, I had already talked to everyone even the 1-800 number people and they they all say "Bring a Credit card not a check card, it cannot be a check card" but Im wondering if they are just saying "it must be a credit card but if its a debit it'll still go thru"
OUr anniversary is Saturday and well, if it all fails then Im going to get the SE-R supremely waxed and detailed.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Congrats NX2kPA on the wedding, best of luck to ya.
Happy anniversary SmoothDaddyFig!

about renting a car using a check card: I used to work for Enterprise Rent-a-Car, and we would did NOT take check cards.

The reason is this: With a credit card, Enterprise could put a 'hold' on a certain amount of money without this record actually showing up on your statement. However, it does affect your credit limit in that if they hold $40 and your limit is $100, you'll only have $60 left in that account.

Now with a check card, they can't do that. They actually have to withdraw from your checking account, and deposit it back later. The problem with this (although you won't have that problem because of your relatively high balance) is that if you need that money, it won't be able to be put back into your account for 3-5 business days. Big bummer for when someone with a small account starts bouncing checks or something.

You can try with a debit card, but Hertz probably won't take it. Heck, worse come to worse, have ur parents or friend run a credit card for you. Otherwise, start polishing your SE-R.

Hope this helps.
-Chris

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GRETA INFO NISMO!!!

Wow, thanks alot!!! Well, I can always play stupid if they dont take the card.
How can they telll if its a debit?

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I think most debit cards say MAC on the front.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Good luck!
-Chris

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nISMO , ANYBODY EVER GET CAUGHT USING A DEBIT AND NOT A CREDIT CARD?

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
no, never had a situation where i had to do that..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just use the debit card- there won't be a problem. They don't want you coming in there with an ATM card. As long as you have a VISA or Mastercard Debit card they won't know the difference.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you both!!!
I really appreciate the advice. I dont mean to sound paranoid but I want this day to go smooth!! Oh well, tommorrow at 10am will be judgement day! If they say, "Hey this is a check card", I'll just go "Ooops, I brought the wrong card! Let me go get the right card"
.....and then of course I will never come back!!
Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could check with your bank, but I can tell you that my Check card (It's a VISA) works both ways. I can use it as a debit card where I have to use my pin, or I can use it as a credit card. As a credit card, the purchase does not show up for a couple of days. I almost always used my debit card as a credit card at the gas station, grocery store, etc... and I never had a problem. YMMV

Ben
'93 NX

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Bro I have used my debit card many time to rent a car. I have a Visa checkcard . I honestly have never had a problem.
GOODLUCK! Happy Aniversary bro!

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SE-Rican:
Bro I have used my debit card many time to rent a car. I have a Visa checkcard . I honestly have never had a problem.
GOODLUCK! Happy Aniversary bro!
</font>
HEY WAZ UP! ITS THE PUERTO RICAN SPEAKIN!!!
Thanks for the input!!
whats up with the new motor?!!!

------------------
-

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts