SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Nice, huh?

Found the spring sitting between the pressure plate and clutch disc. The worst part - only 16,000 miles on this clutch according to the previous owner's service records. (Stock-ish SR20 w/ basic bolt-ons, only a few autocrosses and a handful of dragstrip runs.) Anyone recognize the clutch? It looks way different from the Exedy one I replaced it with.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There was none of that brown crap or the big grooves on my worn out stock clutch. Maybe the spring caused that while it was bouncing around in there.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
The center part looks like my spec 6 puck sprung disk i have in the junk pile. The metal lips that hold the springs in were all mangled on 3 of the springs, so it isn't going back on any cars. The Spec had around 5k miles on it, all auto-x though in the summer.

Brent

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When driving it, the clutch felt like an OEM clutch because the pedal was still nice and soft and it didn't chatter at all. I doubt the previous owner would have paid extra for a performance clutch considering he didn't seem like an enthusiast - also the receipt doesn't indicate any special clutch...just says "clutch".

·
Registered
381 Posts
looks like and EXEDY disc because of the kameleon(sp?) color on it. i had a b15 se disc blew a spring and now my tranny just isnt what it use to be :(

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
What exactly were the symptoms of the bad clutch?

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
my spec stage II did the same thing, it has dual springs. and just one of them and the little bracket holding them was completely shattered. only about 3k miles on them and some hard abuse from drag racing and normal driving. oh well i went ahead and put the disk back in there because the other springs were just fine and tight. oh well i guess we will see how long it lasts. i didnt have the money for another clutch disk. and the disk looked brand new, because it was. neways when that happened my pedal was very stiff and the clutch wouldnt disengage all the way. that was fun getting home from the carwash and then i drove it like that for three days before i had the chance to take the tranny off again. what fun. ha

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
oh and another thing, i emailed spec to see what the deal was and he said oh its because of a worn pilot bearing that causes that. well i have a jdm motor that probably didnt have more than 20k miles on it, yes it was that clean and ive only put 18k miles on it so thats a total of 28k miles on the engine and that pilot bearing isnt probably going to have a single wear mark on it with that low milage. sorry. a stock clutch can last 200k plus miles and never have problems like that. no i think they are defective but then again what do i know. lol. the pilot bearing isnt the problem

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
I blew out 3 of the 4 springs in my Neon - it happens from jerky starts (poor throttle response, bad motor mounts, heavy flywheel, etc.) and dropping the clutch at stoplights or while shifting hard - but it took 108k to do that. For that to happen at 16k, it would have to be severely abused or a pos clutch disc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts