SR20 Forum banner

Designing a better header?

2135 Views 51 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Creagach
So, I'm selling the Stillen and I'm interested in designing a better one. But, I know nothing. I'm just funding it. Since my brother's getting a car soon, I'm going to start gutting my car and building it *hardcore*. Mike's always saying he can design a better one. So what's needed?

From what little I know, I'm thinking a 4-1? Seems like that new VE header coming out should be good.

I've seen a HotShot and nearly shitted when I seen the pipes were so huge (compared to my Stillen). So I was wondering, if the pipes were big like HotShot, would it out perform?

I should have around 6-700 for this right now. I'm thinkin I might need more. Any tips, or anyone wanna do one with me funding it?

Jason
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Sounds like you'll need to either PM Mike Kojima or Andreas Mikos.
It also depends on what other stuff you plan on doing to your motor.
Now that Ive been thinking of it, I think I might build some kind of side exit header just for the track.

I realized that I want to still drive this thing daily, but I also wanna woop ass at the track. I dunno what the regulations are on this. I'll prolly have to sign up for different events. Since its not fully muffled.

And...Andreas doesn't talk to me. I don't know why, I thought I was being a good customer. I think he's just mad that I returned something to him. Musta hurt his gay as ego. I give props to him, but ****...it's not my fault he doesn't know how to weigh a flywheel before selling it.
mYseRgOesvrOOm said:
So, I'm selling the Stillen and I'm interested in designing a better one. But, I know nothing. I'm just funding it. Since my brother's getting a car soon, I'm going to start gutting my car and building it *hardcore*. Mike's always saying he can design a better one. So what's needed?

From what little I know, I'm thinking a 4-1? Seems like that new VE header coming out should be good.

I've seen a HotShot and nearly shitted when I seen the pipes were so huge (compared to my Stillen). So I was wondering, if the pipes were big like HotShot, would it out perform?

I should have around 6-700 for this right now. I'm thinkin I might need more. Any tips, or anyone wanna do one with me funding it?

Jason
I'll be working with Hotshot on a new header soon. Its going to be patented too.

Mike
choaderboy2 said:
I'll be working with Hotshot on a new header soon. Its going to be patented too.
YES!!!

Let me know when it comes out, I'll buy it!!!
I'd have to concur with what was said earlier - designing a custom header would all depend on your motor's setup and what kind of gains you were looking for.
2xSE-R said:
I'd have to concur with what was said earlier - designing a custom header would all depend on your motor's setup and what kind of gains you were looking for.
Its going to have a couple of variations, for a bolt on motor and for a heavily modifed motor.

Mike
mysergoesvroom: Save your money for something else, I'd hate for you to get one together and it not make the same or more power than a HotShot header. Or even worse, less power than your old $tillen. The research is already there and it's proven. Why reinvent the wheel?

I'm sure to begin with Hot Shot just tried different ideas, welds up a version, bolts it in a car and dyno's it. Who knows how many versions they go through before they call it a day! There's only so much you can plan with theory and math....

I'm not shooting down your idea, but with a limited budget, I'd spend the money on something else like cams and some cam gears for fine tuning, or better yet, why not build a fresh, new intake? that would be a cheaper alternative to build and test vs. a header...

Just my $.02

* Edited for grammer and punctuation :tongue:
Well, with what Mike said...screw it. I'll just wait til he gets the new one to come out! Shoot...now I got 700bucks to spend. Hmm...Cams? :D

And I got a new intake coming already. Biggest mistake selling that thing :eek:
choaderboy2 said:
Its going to have a couple of variations, for a bolt on motor and for a heavily modifed motor.

Mike

That's cool - the more quality options the better. I've been looking for a used AEBS to use with nitrous, but I might just wait around until some of these new header designs come out.
Will there be a 4-2-1 and 4-1 design for mild motors and extreme motors or will it be soley - 4-2-1 for mild and 4-1 for extreme?
2xSE-R said:
That's cool - the more quality options the better. I've been looking for a used AEBS to use with nitrous, but I might just wait around until some of these new header designs come out.
Will there be a 4-2-1 and 4-1 design for mild motors and extreme motors or will it be soley - 4-2-1 for mild and 4-1 for extreme?
Due to threats of some list members to copy the design, patent it and lock me out of my own design, I am not posting any technical details on this until its actualy patented.

I think Hotshot will also come out with bigger diameter collectors to upgrade the older headers as well.

Mike
choaderboy2 said:
Due to threats of some list members to copy the design, patent it and lock me out of my own design, I am not posting any technical details on this until its actualy patented.
I think I know who you're talking about.

I'd be willing to bet he probably works for OBX too.

I think Hotshot will also come out with bigger diameter collectors to upgrade the older headers as well.

Mike
Any idea of how long before the new header and/or upgraded collector will be released?
choaderboy2 said:

Mike
Mike, If you need any help I have a friend who's a patent lawyer at the US patent office. Just let me know.

-Mike
choaderboy2 said:

Mike

That's a shame. It's to bad that there's people out there like that.
2xSE-R said:
That's a shame. It's to bad that there's people out there like that.
The real shame is they are a part of our community.
Good thing one of them was banned last night. I hope you guys didn't see what he posted. Since Im on 24/7 I reported it ASAP. Good thing...what a dipshit. I don't care about the technical data. Just give us a heads up when it's about to come out! :D:D. So we can start saving $$.

Jason
Subculture said:
I think I know who you're talking about.

I'd be willing to bet he probably works for OBX too.

Any idea of how long before the new header and/or upgraded collector will be released?
Just gonna start this week, bunch of testing etc. to go. I won't comment on the time.

Mike
What are the baseline numbers for a current gen 5 HS Header with S4's?

*edited because my keyboard sucks
gottabfast said:
What are the baseline numbers for a current gen 5 HS Header with S4's?
Well with a PRI CAI, HS Gen5 HS, JWT S3Cams, UR pullies, 2/14"exhaust my car is putting out 151HP to the wheels. 11HP more than it was making with the Stillen Gen2 header.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.