SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....

It looks like I bent some valves at Meridian on the DET. Im wondering how the aftermarket cams are working out for you, especially if you put them in after the turbo.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My co-driver went for the first run (test and tune practice) when I pulled the VC off the rocker was cracked (intake #3) and the cams skipped timing... right now the engine turns over as if there is no compression (fast; like when you dont have plugs in it) Im expecting to see bent valves when I pull the head tommarrow.... Any suggestions before or while I do this?

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am almost positive you chewed up some valves. I don't want to be the one to tell you this also, but, the pistons may be cracked also. Ouch! It may be time for a rebuild.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same.... but im hoping that its not that (denial). If it is though, how are the GTiR pistions? I don't plan on going larger than a T28 so Im also wondering If you put the pistions in before the T3/T04E and noticed any big differences.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"

·
Registered
782 Posts
I never ran the car with the T25. I sold the manifold, turbo, & injectors before I put the motor in. I bolted on the FMAX manifold and T3/T04E turbo before I put the motor in. What do you use the car for? Road racing? Auto Xing? I would suggest going lower compression, but I am not too sure if you would need more than the T28 or Silvia turbo. (Horsepower Wise)I have heard that above 275 hp, cars seem to have too much power for the track. I am not a road racer or auto crosser , so I could be mistaken.

------------------
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly I autoX, so quick spool up is important to keep the car balanced at the limit. Since Im running street mod I can run wider tires (plan on running 225+ all around in the future) so traction becomes less of a problem in turns. As the car sat it was making 218hp and 219ft-lbs at around 10-11 psi. On occasion I might take the car to the strip so far it pulled [email protected] w/ 2.1 60ft on street tires and full interior w/ tools,other dead weight and the "interheater" I figure I will be doing some rebuild work on it and might as well plan do the cams, the cobra MAF/ fuel injectors and rail, and possibly move to a t-28.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have he JWT S3 cams on my DET and they work just fine. How did you bend a valve? The only way that you can bend valves are: 1. If you overreved and the valve was left open whil ethe rocker arm cracked and a piston smacked the valve 2. Your cam gears were off when you installed the cams.

------------------

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts