SR20 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DET Conversion

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Serban 
G
#1 ·
Hey all,

Ive been considering the possibility of a SR20DET conversion on my 1992 Nissan Pulsar SSS (Yes, im in Australia). Now there are two options open for me, a Bluebird Atessa motor or a Pulsar GTiR motor, both of which are readily available.

However ive read that the DE Front wheel drive gearbox has a different bolt pattern to that of the GTiR gearbox. Therefore i could not bolt my current gearbox up to the GTiR motor successfully (apparently *some* of the bolts fit, but not all).

Now if this is true (and im still not sure it is) does it also apply to the Bluebird motor which is the regular 147kw non quad throttle bodied equipped DET.

Is it possible in the development of the GTiR for rallying that nissan gave the box some extra bolts?

Ben

------------------
-------------
92 Pulsar SSS

See less See more
#2 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pulsart:
However ive read that the DE Front wheel drive gearbox has a different bolt pattern to that of the GTiR gearbox. Therefore i could not bolt my current gearbox up to the GTiR motor successfully (apparently *some* of the bolts fit, but not all).</font>
Yes it is true. But... The BlueBird also has a diffrent bolt pattern. On my swap their was only one bolt that didn't line up to the gear box. No big deal their.. Their is also another bolt that won't line up. Its on the passenger side half shaft bracket. I'm fairly sure the GTI-R DET and the BB DET have the same bolt patterns. So you should find the same things out I did.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the half shaft bracket. If your planning on going sick with boost and HP you might get some extra flex you don't want. I know of one person with a F-max turbo kit on a GTI-R pushing at least 400HP with no problems yet.. so YRMV.

I'd personally go with the GTI-R(if I could get one now I would) The beefier internals,bigger turbo,neat oiling passages and solid lifters are worth the extra maintenance. You can turn the boost up alot more before needing to rebuild with the GTI-R.

Edit: Oh ya and yes it can be done. Whom ever told you it coulden't because the bolt pattern is diffrent is wrong(One bolt isn't all that diffrent).

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Gosselin (edited 01-02-2001).]

G
#3 ·
Im not looking for major hp, the motor would most likley remain stock if i did it. Ill save going sick with the horsies for when i purchase a 200SX (240SX for you guys) or early model Silvia import. A few hundred HP is a tad easier to control in a RWD car

Another thing stopping me from getting the GTiR motor is the price, over here they cost about 2500 dollars (about 1400 US dollars). When you consider i can get a Bluebird motor for 1000 dollars (or about $600US) it makes the whole conversion alot cheaper.

Thanks for your help

Ben

------------------
92 Pulsar SSS

#4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pulsart:
Another thing stopping me from getting the GTiR motor is the price, over here they cost about 2500 dollars (about 1400 US dollars). When you consider i can get a Bluebird motor for 1000 dollars (or about $600US) it makes the whole conversion alot cheaper.</font>
Must be nice!!! The GTI-R here is $3000+US! and the BB DET is $1500US. Damn mark ups..and shipping!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Thanks for your help
No problem. Its good to hear from the other side of the world
Let us know how you make out.

Mike

#5 ·
Hi, I am also planing to do a conversion SR20DET too, I own a B13 GA16DE and during my find, all the mechanic "In Malaysia" told me that

1) I need to convert all the 4 engine mount, luckly few people in this forum told me that I just need the SeR mounting and will do. But the problem is that In Malaysia, I can't find any SeR around, any idea where I can get all the 4 mount cheap? or will the Jap special edition B13-SR18DE mount will do?

2) I have to custome made the Drive-shaft the B13, cause the BB D-shaft can't fit. again will the SR18DE gearbox and drive-shaft do?

#6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by weikee:
1) I need to convert all the 4 engine mount, luckly few people in this forum told me that I just need the SeR mounting and will do. But the problem is that In Malaysia, I can't find any SeR around, any idea where I can get all the 4 mount cheap? or will the Jap special edition B13-SR18DE mount will do?</font>
I have heard the SR18 is bascialy the same in every aspect as the SR20 except for the displacement so I'ts a good possibility(%99) that the SR18 mounts will work.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2) I have to custome made the Drive-shaft the B13, cause the BB D-shaft can't fit. again will the SR18DE gearbox and drive-shaft do?
Can you find the part #'s on your gear box? If they are in fact the same as the one for the SR20 the BB DET will bolt rite up to it. No custom work needed. I cant find the part number rite now but look on your trans and post it here and I can look it up tommrow. Or if someone else knows what it is they can tell you if its the rite # or not.

Mike

#8 ·
I got a chance to see a B13 with SR18 engine car in a yard, from my observation, the front right mounting on a B13 GA16DE have to be push up if I want to swap a SR18 into it "about 2 inch", I think this goes the same for a SR20.

[This message has been edited by weikee (edited 01-07-2001).]

#9 ·
weikee said:
I got a chance to see a B13 with SR18 engine car in a yard, from my observation, the front right mounting on a B13 GA16DE have to be push up if I want to swap a SR18 into it "about 2 inch", I think this goes the same for a SR20.

[This message has been edited by weikee (edited 01-07-2001).]
hey weikee,

i'm in M'sia too with a b14. maybe we can swap notes while u build your ride. i'm gonna swap gearboxes coz atm it's ratios are for `pickup' not cruising. i think i'm using an sr18de lsd gearbox. pm me once u start yer project. thanks!

#11 ·
7urn57yle said:
hey weikee,

i'm in M'sia too with a b14. maybe we can swap notes while u build your ride. i'm gonna swap gearboxes coz atm it's ratios are for `pickup' not cruising. i think i'm using an sr18de lsd gearbox. pm me once u start yer project. thanks!
You could have just sent him a PM instead of bringing back a 4 year old thread :squint:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.