SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our forum brethren wants to try a DET ECU on his DE with a Bluebird T25 setup bolted on it just like I had. It's a B13 so that part of it should be ok. What I have the most concern about is that the Bluebird DET has a 8.3:1 or 8.5:1 (can never keep the BB and GTi-R straight) and the DE has 9.5:1 compression. Is there any difference in the programming for compression in an ECU? I know my JWT ECU had the "turbo" program and "9.5:1 compression" program. You have to get a different program depending on your compression.

Will this not work? Maybe it's ok to have a lower compression ECU on a higher compression motor, or vice versa? Just less power maybe? If this WOULD work, then we truly would have a low buck turbo setup.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It works fine on the DET. The guy with the DETized white classic at the 2001
National Convention had been using it for some time. Someone on the list a
few months ago found that the Bluebird DET MAF was the same part number as
the DE MAF. From those two pieces of information there is no reason a
DETized car could not use the DET ECU.

Whether or not a Bluebird T25'ed DE can use the DET ECU or not is the
question of the day...

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Surely to God, somebody knows the answer to this one!

Andreas Miko?

JBanach??

Big Boost (Rob Williams)???

Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked about it shortly with importnut who is getting a Hondata system for his brother's Greddy turbo powered Teg and he thinks you may just have to decrease the timing a bit. Personally, I really can't see it not working at all. I DO wish someone a bit more knowledgable would respond to this so I could budget in this lovely $900 setup soon! :)

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well it will have a 115 mph speedlimiter or somewhere around there. You need to use the BB O2 senser to make the comp work right. You will also have to come of of the distributer timing alittle. Otherwise is should be OK but I am not a big fan for putting little T25s on DE motors though.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Andreas;

Thanks for clearing this up! About the BB O2 sensor...is it a different wiring combo than the DE's sensor, or is it just a matter of different voltages meaning different things?

If it's different voltages between the sensors...then how difficult is it to get a BB O2 sensor?

(BTW...got the alternator...thanks for getting it here quickly!)

-GP-

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, 115mph speed limiter... hmmm... on one hand... then again... hmmm....

*indecisive*

·
Registered
267 Posts
About the BB O2 sensor...is it a different wiring combo than the DE's sensor, or is it just a matter of different voltages meaning different things?

***First of all, the BB O2 sensor is a lot narrower than the SR20DE O2 sensor. The main difference is in the wiring. The way that the sensor connector plugs into the wiring harness is different. For example, on an SE-R the O2 sensor has a male connector and the harness has a female.

The BB O2 sensor has a female, which cannot plug into the female connector of the SR20DE harness. You would need to remove the pins from a spare SR20DE O2 sensor and swap the connector over to the BB O2 sensor. I had to do this on a 1.6L to GTi-R swap I did for a friend.

If it's different voltages between the sensors...then how difficult is it to get a BB O2 sensor?

***You can use an O2 sensor from a Z31 1987 300ZX turbo. It has the same type of connector as the Bluebird and it is the correct narrow diameter that you need.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Jay;

Let me make sure I understand this: The easiest way to use a BB ecu with a DE with the BB's T25...is to use an O2 sensor from the '87 300ZX Turbo?

That O2 sensor offers up the male connector needed, and will plug *right in* to a B13 SE-R's O2 female connection that goes to the harness? Voltage readings, etc. are the same, no?

Just wanted to make sure I'm *crystal* clear on this one. If so, I think we may have just discovered a low-buck way to turn a DE into a BB-ized engine.

Thanks, Jay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts