SR20 Forum banner

det emissions Q

618 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AZ 2K SE 
#1 ·
you guys say that the det engines dont pass emissions...i live in MA and need to pass so i can get this thing on the road..so if anyone could inform me a bit on how to do this legally since i will have to do this for year to come as well..and also ..do these have any restrictions on the output of the motor?..if it helps it is a BB in a 91 1.6 nx ..thanks alot..scott

#4 ·
how thorough are the tests???.... if they are done at low RPM's and don't do a visual I think a cat might be able to just sneak within the guidelines.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G
#5 ·
i dont understand why everyone keeps saying that the bluebird det wont pass inspection. that is a false statement mine passed with no cat on the car. as long as the car is tuned properly u should have no problem. my motor has about 32,000 miles on it, that could be the reason.

#6 ·
Joe -

What are the exact emissions tests that your DET passed? Here in Ohio, in metropolitan areas, we have E-Check, which sniffs your exhaust over a wide rev range. I'd really be curious to know what tests are standard in your area. I would run a cat, as I am environnmentally concious; does the DET have all the EGR stuff that the DE has (forgive my ignorance)?

Also, you DET guys, can/do you still run A/C and all the goodies? Do the UR pulleys fit the DET?

TIA again

#7 ·
i said that because this is what ive been hearing..i want to know what i could do before i drop this in and have everything done, then realize i needed to do something different... in MA, i believe they put something over your exhoust pipe, then run it up to third gear, maybe about 30 mph i think,, and then do it 2 times more and follow the same accleration that has been put on a graph from your first pass...at least this is what i thought they do..if anyone has any other info it would be great,,..thanks

#9 ·
It depends on what emissions standards your state has. In AZ we have IM-240. You have to pass a visual and a sniffer. If they determine that an emissions device is missing or not working due to being tampered with, you just failed. It is not a false statement in that situation. Now, if they don't enforce the rules that strictly where you live, I say go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.