SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I was boosting... Sigh...
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has been making this diesel sounding noise(really loud) since I got my car. Everyone has said that it's an exhaust leak, no ****, but I just dont know how to pin point it. Could it be the gaskets? Turbo to Downpipe, Manifold to turbo or Block to manifold? And if it is one of these is it easy to check and change? And where would I buy them? When I took the heat sheild off to see if the manifold was cracked(not) there was soot and black everywhere. I'll try to take pics sometime soon. Or is it something else....

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
take out everything and retighten it. trust me.. it'll pay off

·
GT30R'd Up
1,813 Posts
Yea Mine just started doing that too.....Tho it doesn't affect boost, I think it after the turbo that it is leaking. My boost build and holds at 7psi without a problem....only thing is I sound like a F-350 When I'm getting there. I gotta check for the leak....

Allan

·
-
3,560 Posts
Have any of you gotten to the bolts without removing the whole manifold/turbo/lines/downpipe???

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is tightening all that stuff easy? How should I got about it? Any tips? Should I replace my gaskets if i'm in there anyway?

·
Registered
461 Posts
G20pimp said:
Is tightening all that stuff easy? How should I got about it? Any tips? Should I replace my gaskets if i'm in there anyway?
I called JGY and he told me the only way to permanently stop the bolts from backing out is to put lock-tight and spot weld them. I highly doubt that you'll be able to reach the rear bolts without removing the manifold, turbo, lines, and the downpipe. It wasn't very hard at all, just a little time consuming. It took me aprox. 5-6hours with a friend and BSing in between. And I'm a n00b...lol Just make sure that you triple check your oil lines at the least before you completely finish!

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thanks for all you guys help!!

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem fixed, it turns out that Paragon tuning thought that not fully connecting the downpipe to the turbo was a good idea! Two of the bolts were a 1/4 of the way in, and the third bolt was missing the nut, my exhaust gasket was half disintegrated. But thanks to Allen(cyclemut) a tech at nissan we(him actually) fixed it in about an hour because he had to make a gasket from scratch. But now my baby sounds 'normal' and not like it runs on diesel!!

THANKS ALLEN!

CJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.