SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best boost to run on a DET or a DE w/FMAX kit? keep in mind the DE has stock internals.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Don't mean to flame, but that wasn't a very educated question. Let me educate you

First of all, these two setups, DET and DE w/FMAX kit of whatever level, are COMPLETELY different. The DET is different from the DE in the following ways (shamelessly stolen from SE-R.net):

Here are the differences between the DET and the DE:

The DET has oil squirter piston coolers
The DET has a bigger oil pump.
The DET has a different front pulley.
The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1).
The DET has bigger injectors.
The DET has direct ignition.
The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end.
The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.

So they start out that different.

The first thing to be understood that compression level has EVERYTHING to do with the amount of boost one can run. The lower the compression, the higher boost you can run safely under the same condition. Other variables in the mix of how much boost you can safely run are the kind of turbo you have, presence of an intercooler or not, or the use of water injection. There are others but I believe those are the main ones.

Stock boost on a Bluebird DET is 7psi. The FMAX kits have several levels and basically are whatever you want and can run.

For some perspective on how strong the stock DE internals are, Ryan Besterwich is running a highend FMAX kit with 392hp on the stock DE internals.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Alot of those diffrences listed on the SE-R.net are for RWD DET or the GTI-R.

The GTI-R has all listed above except for the variable intake cam. That is a Silvia RWD thing only...I Think

The BB DET *Only* has bigger injectors(370cc),lower CR pistons(8.5:1 vs 8.3:1 in the GTI-R) and the oil squrters. It has the same oil pump as the DE,same lifters,same ignition etc.

These are just two variants of the FWD DET. When it gets into RWD I think they have about 5 diffrent varations.

BTW Unless you have good luck finding a good DET out of a Bluebird or GTI-R I'd go with the DE+F-max. This way you know what your working with in terms of the motor being mechanicaly sound.

Mike
98sentraSE Turbo(BB DET)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Professor Gosselin!
i am humbled by your knowledge. i knew the det and the de had some differences, but i didn't know that much! You are correct about uneducated. i do not know sh*t when it comes to turbos and figured other than se-r.net, this was a good place to find out.

i ask alot of questions and read up alot becuase i'm looking for my 3rd nissan, but it will be a toy. i'm just trying to decide if b tween a 300zx t (from the 80's) or sentra se-r. (hopefully a '91-'92) i have considered a 240sx, but i would prefer the other 2 first. i appreciate your info and hope you guys don't get too annoyed of seeing my questions!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Question of my own- what are oil piston squirters anyways? They sound neat but I have no clue what they really are.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
They are little piston coolers. They are taped into the block rite under the pistons and they point upward. When a certian rpm is reached (4500?)they open up and squirt oil on the under side of the pistons to cool them.

Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Check out Geo's site he has some pictures of the oil squirters. Just scrole down to the 2nd set of pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/Whattodo.htm

Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
True Bubba has better shots of them. Bubba if your reading this... Your site makes me drool!!!!!! Nice job!

http://homepage.mac.com/carlm/crankcase1.html

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Bubba, you are a sick, sick bastard with one scary fast car.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you got that thing dynoed yet? sweeeeet. makes me wanna sell my car and try to buy yours from you
(just kidding, I could not buy another mans project. it is like stealing a well trained, I mean a good girlfriend)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whoa! Hey guys... I just found the Turbo forum today.

Thanks for the kind words. I am just dying to dyno but have been advised by JWT to put some more miles on the thing before I do. Break-in is important and I think after a 1000 miles the power might be up a tiny amount as well.

The trouble is I just got back from a week of vacation (flew there) and am going on another week-long (flying there too) in a few days. I swear i'll post the chart when its done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So what would be the most boost you recommend running on pump gas on the DET with an interheater on the street. What about with a front mount IC?

Mel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts