SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT UP, I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS THOUGHT WOULD BE THE BETTER CHOICE...BB DET OR THE GTi-R. ONE OF THESE LUCKY WOMEN WILL BE GOING IN A 96 200SX SE IN THE BEGINNIG OF AUGUST. ALSO IF THE ENGINE DOES COME WITH THE ECU WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE THAT OR WILL I STILL HAVE TO BUY ONE FROM JWT. THANKS FOR THE HELP. HOLLA BACK

------------------
i live everyday by the quarter mile.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS THOUGHT WOULD BE THE BETTER CHOICE...BB DET OR THE GTi-R.

***If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone with a BB DET, rather than the GTi-R. I got the GTi-R b/c I thought it was cool and different and all that. Well, I ended puting on an F-MAX turbo kit anyways, which negates the argument that the GTi-R has a better turbo! Also, it is a lot harder to source replacement parts quickly for a GTi-R motor. A lot of the parts are different than those found on an SR20DE or BB DET. For example, my friend over revved his GTi-R engine, the rocker arm fell off, and one of the little valve caps was damaged. He had to wait about a month just to get a $5 part replaced.

The beauty of the BB DET is that many of its parts are interchangeable with a regular 91-93 SR20DE.

If you plan on staying stock with the turbo, the GTi-R is a better choice. If you keep the stock GTi-R intercooler, you will have to cut a large hole in your hood.

If you keep the stock BB intercooler, you do not have to cut a hole in your hood (on some, but not all cars). The 200SX will not need a hole in the hood.

The GTi-R is a stronger engine. It has individual throttle bodies, which lends to better throttle response. The GTi-R is also a louder engine at idle b/c of its mechanical lifters. The GTi-R can rev higher than the BB without valve float b/c of its mechanical lifters. The GTi-R is a bitch to get to idle right b/c the 4 throttle bodies are very sensitive to changes in butterfly position.

ONE OF THESE LUCKY WOMEN WILL BE GOING IN A 96 200SX SE IN THE BEGINNIG OF AUGUST.

***Good luck! I hope you have a few FSMs available. Be ready for a wiring nightmare. I installed a GTi-R engine, harness, and ECU into a 1994 1.6L Sentra and it was not fun, to say the least.

ALSO IF THE ENGINE DOES COME WITH THE ECU WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE THAT

***No. The GTi-R ECU is an OBDI ECU, which will not plug into your OBDII harness, unless you get an OBDI harness or you cut off the plugs from an OBDI harness and solder them into your OBDII harness.

OR WILL I STILL HAVE TO BUY ONE FROM JWT.

***Your best bet is to get a JWT OBDII turbo ECU and use your stock wiring harness. You will need to solder the injector plugs from the GTi-R harness onto the DE harness and add ballast resistors for the GTi-R's low impedance injectors.

There is a bunch of other crap you should know, but we can get into that later after you are ready for the install.

Get a BB DET if this is your only car. If you want to spend the extra money, then get a GTi-R motor and have fun!

Later,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts