SR20 Forum banner

DET questions

614 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rittmeister 
#1 ·
Alright, I am relatively new to the board and most of my questions have been answered satisfactorily. I have one remaining, that actually is in another thread but has been ignored for a few days so here goes:

What about a DET will not pass emissions? What changes would need to be made so that it would pass emissions? I want a turbo BAD but would rather spend $2k on a DET swap than $3.5-$5k on a kit. Unfortunately I live in Ohio where we have emissions checks.

TIA

------------------
SR20DE - Tiny but Mighty
'94 Black SE-R with few mods SO FAR

#2 ·
Well for starters they might notice that snail looking thing bolted to the exhaust manifold!!!!??? Do they just check emissions up there or do they check the 'integrity' of the stock emissions systems? You could probably get by on a straight emissions test (make sure you run a cat) But if they check for stock type systems the DE-T lacks an egr system if I'm correct plus they might notice the turbo (maybe, heheh) other than that I don't know.

#5 ·
To add an egr you would need a us spek intake manifold and you would have to drill+tap the exhaust in the down pipe area after the turbo. You would also need a custom EGR pipe. Not a verry big deal IMHO. But if they don't do visuals you shoulden't need to worrie at all. I'm sure if you have you cat attached you pass emmisions no problem.

Mike

#6 ·
i can only speak about the test in Illinois but i assume it's the same as your state. il looks at nox but does not pass or fail because of it an increase in nox will occur if you remove the egr system but that is it and the only state i am aware of that will fail a car for high nox is california...look at any previous emmision test printout if your state tests for nox it will be shown with a cut off of acceptable levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.