SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go to the store today and noticed something was off: I wasn't building boost. So I got on it some and she wasn't spooling up. Nothing. I could not even begin to build boost. She wouldn't even build up to 0. Her vacuum was fine, about 18 inHG, but no boost pressure. She pulled like a normal SR20. She sounded normal, outside of the no spooling part. She idles fine, and still runs strong, just no boost.

So, my question: Did my turbo just die on me? Please tell me something odd might have happened like the wastegate is stuck open or something like that. I would get under her and look but she's still hot.

Setup: SR20 w/ gtir mani, t28, and jpipe. Running gtir ecu with gtir maf. Never had problems till today and shes been running fine, though i think she might have an exhaust leak at the downpipe.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
check for pressure leaks in the charge piping. its also possible you have a leak between the turbo and manifold itsself..

take the inlet off an check the blades on the turbo. check for play, and look to see it the compressor came in contact of the housing...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No smoke no nothing. I did a full leak down test from intake, nothing. I just took off the turbo inlet to check the blades and it stiff, like something was jammed in it. I wiggled it some and it sounded like something on the exhaust side fell or came loss and now it spins freely with no shaft play and all that jazz. It's still to hot to check the exhaust side yet to see whats up over there.

The fins on the inlet side still look clean and new. No oil or anything. Free spin now and no shaft play. Looked under and the wastegate looks all good. Just waiting for her to cool to check the exhaust side now.

Ideas? Maybe something got cloged in it on the exhaust side? But I can not think of any way that can happen... at least not any good way. But with no smoke or weird noises and the car still pulling like a normal SR... I am stumped, and my heart is still in my throat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

So I finally got a nice day to take some things off. I pulled the exhuast and found no oil or any thing like that. I cant get to the exhust side turbine until I take off the j-pipe. Back on the intake side of the turbo the turbine was sort of "caught" up (meaning it wasn't turning freely until youpushed it a little), but once it was free, with little force used to turn it free, it spun just fine. It's not hitting the wall or anything like that. No shaft play at all. I don't know how freely it should spin. I can give it a turn and it will spin for about 2 seconds give or take. I did notice this time some build up of thick oil on the turbine wheel. It was just on the turbine.

She still is not boosting at all. Doesn't even sound like the turbo is spinning or spulling up. Any help would be nice. It sucks not having a car. And even worse, it sucks not having boost.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I would have guessed the turbo was coming loose from the manifold or the manifold off the engine. I have never seen a turbo just "stop working" like that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
check to make sure the WG actuator didn't come off the WG... if you loose that C-clip it will come off easily, ask me how I know this :(. Just look down between the runners of the turbo manifold to see if it's still connected... or from below.
^^^ Did you check what he said it also happened to me one time the exact same way was driving with normal boost and all of a sudden it just did not build any boost, came to find out the WG rod fell off. The internal wastegate rod its secured by a c-clip to the arm on the turbine side, double check that, just my .02 cents

·
drive slow homey
87 Posts
^^^ Did you check what he said it also happened to me one time the exact same way was driving with normal boost and all of a sudden it just did not build any boost, came to find out the WG rod fell off. The internal wastegate rod its secured by a c-clip to the arm on the turbine side, double check that, just my .02 cents
yeah same thing happend to me i just replaced the clip and i havent had a problem since thats the easiest thing to check and its prob the problem good luck

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have seen the turbo gaskets get into the exhaust housing and make it impossible to build boost.
I drove like this for a while, until I got a new turbo. When I pulled it to replace it with the new turbo, I found a small piece of gasket in the wheel. I took it out and it spun perfectly. I ended up using the new turbo, (cause it was a gt28r) but my buddy put it on his civic and it worked perfectly.
I think it is worth a shot, since you said the leak is fairly new. You will have to pull the turbo off the manifold, which can be a pain sometimes. Good luck, hope that helps. KEN

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to go to the store today and noticed something was off: I wasn't building boost. So I got on it some and she wasn't spooling up. Nothing. I could not even begin to build boost. She wouldn't even build up to 0. Her vacuum was fine, about 18 inHG, but no boost pressure. She pulled like a normal SR20. She sounded normal, outside of the no spooling part. She idles fine, and still runs strong, just no boost.

So, my question: Did my turbo just die on me? Please tell me something odd might have happened like the wastegate is stuck open or something like that. I would get under her and look but she's still hot.

Setup: SR20 w/ gtir mani, t28, and jpipe. Running gtir ecu with gtir maf. Never had problems till today and shes been running fine, though i think she might have an exhaust leak at the downpipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts