SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys what is the difference between the hitachi and the mitsubishi starters for the sr20? my starter has been going out for the past 4 months and finally im buying a new one. Now the auto parts store wants to know weather its the hitachi or the mitsu. And i have no idea which it is and if there is any difference.

Thanks
Chris:confused:

·
The Boost Bear..Rawr!
3,055 Posts
Either will fit and work.

There is a sticker on your old one. If you want, take the starter off and just look.

·
the fo do
470 Posts
the mitsu is like 3 inches longer

·
SR20DEbT
8,984 Posts
They are all interchangeable though. I have used two different (closed and open end) types of starters on an NX and they both worked fine.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
anyone know if the ve starters work with our de wiring?

I know for a fact that DET starters work since I have one on my USDM DE right now. Just compare the two starters. I bet both are the same.

I found that on my Avenir starter I had to cut the black ground wire off my old starter and solder it onto the new one since somthing was slightly different about the plug (took 5 secs). Other then that it was all the same

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
yes there are 2. mitsubishi and hitachi. one is an open nose the other is the closed nose. iirc the closed one is supposed to be a better design

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the mitsubishi today and it has the closed end. turns out its the same one i had so it didnt really matter. Turns out they thought they had both kinds but both the starters thet had in stock were the mitsu's. So I had to get it.:rofl:

·
VE-T tester
1,146 Posts
The mitsu starters have been known to be more reliable. Many starters from hitachi fail giving a horrible grinding noise after the engine starts followed by complete failure.

·
Very bling bling
1,905 Posts
hmm, well i just got he hitachi one(first time i have had an open one) and it actually kinda grinds when starting but has been working so far. hopefully it will last, its the first time in 3 years i have had one fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts