SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
95 SER
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying within the last 10 months the transmision was rebuilt and a new clutch was put in because of abuse from previous owner.

So I was changing my engine oil the other day right before a big trip and after that thigns seem to be acting weird when the car is running it can only be slammed hard into first it doesnt go in normally, but when the car is off it goes right into first. This is on a high mileage 95 ser, any ideas? thanks

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
my money is on the clutch. maybe a hub spring popped out or something, i dont think it has anything to do with the tranny being rebuilt because with the car off it goes in smoothly...time to take out the tranny....

·
95 SER
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, really? thats really gonna suck. The clutch is less then a year old and I don't beat on the car at all. It's just a daily driver.

·
SR20 POWA
132 Posts
who did the clutch install...maybe didnt align the clutch properly..i had that problem too when i did my first clutch install...took of my tranny then the clutch disc springs all popped out and disc was damaged...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine did this, and was worse into reverse, but it was just the adjustment of the cable, usualy you would have 1-2mm of free play but for some reason it needed to be tighter to completely release. Race car is the same.

It shifted fine on the move was just hard from stopped, tigehened the cable up a bit more and its now fine.

·
95 SER
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on the situation, I checked the clutch cable but it seemed fine so I dropped it off at a shop and they informed it was definitly the clutch. I really dont see how in the last year the clutch went out, kinda frustrating. I had a new clutch installed when the tranny was getting rebuilt probably about a year ago

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Should have also checked your motor mounts, especially the firewall one. If it fails, or if one of more bolts (especially the center bolt) falls out, the engine will rock back and make selecting gears a bitch.

C

·
95 SER
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the situation. Turns out the it was the clutch. It was falling apart inside. It was a duralast clutch from autozone and I was told they're not made very well. I got the car from a friend and he had provded me that clutch new in box because the stock one was going, I had it put in because I had to get the tranny rebuilt and didnt think it would be this bad but now I know. Granted I would probably never personally buy an autozone clutch I'll now know for the future in case i ever got desperate

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's no surprise with a majority of parts from AutoZone. I became disappointed with ACT when I installed an ACT street clutch stage 2 and within a year the disk failed, then the same thing happened again when I replaced the it with another ACT clutch. But I definitely got my money's worth when I switched over to an XTD stage 3, surprisingly it lasted a good 35,000 after proper break-in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts