SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Original Owner
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I :eek2: cut the dash "squares" out where the shafts come out in the dash, can a DIN radio be put in? I have the mounting kit for the radio and didn't realize the problem until yesterday when I went to put the radio in. Is this :confused: standard practice when someone puts in a CD radio. I just don't want to go botching it up if it's not going to fit. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
You don't need a kit for a B13. A single DIN radio fits perfect, you just need the factory radio brackets.

·
Original Owner
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks buddies for your very quick reply:cool:.

My car came OEM equipped with a shaft style radio. The dash cutout is not the newer "totally open" design for a DIN radio. It has provision for the dreaded 2 shafts. The radio I had originally put in (in 1991) installed from the back, underneath the dash. I know the newer ones install from the front but I cannot do this cause my dash opening is too small. It is a single DIN.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The factory radio is a normal DIN, not the older shaft style. More than likely, your car did not come from the factory with a radio, and the dealer installed that type. I bet the holes for the radio are on a panel that is screwed to the back of the trim in the center console.

·
Original Owner
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory radio is a normal DIN, not the older shaft style. More than likely, your car did not come from the factory with a radio, and the dealer installed that type. I bet the holes for the radio are on a panel that is screwed to the back of the trim in the center console.
:biggthump
Thanks for the info Eric. You are correct. I bought the car (new, off the lot) without a radio installed. It had a :cool: radio delete plate;). I then proceeded to install the (then available) shaft type radio. I will now look closely now to see if a panel is installed on the center console that can be removed. I hope so. Will report back later.

Regards, Fred

·
Original Owner
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My '91 was the same way when I bought it.
Hey Eric,

:eek:you called it:). I thought the shaft panel was one piece with the console when in fact, it came out with 4 screws that were behind it. Took me all day today and 1/2 day yesterday but I gotterdone:cheers:.

Pics to follow, FWIW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only thing to add is...not all DIN radios will fit well. Those that go back too deep will fit - kind of, but stick out of the dash a little, unlike the factory radio.

Eons ago I replaced the factory DIN tape deck with a Denon, and it's much deeper and was a hard fit. I still have the factory one...but it ate a tape when last I used it!

·
3 NX2000's
719 Posts
I'd like to bring up an FM noise problem I have in a '93 NX with a '90's or early 00's Kenwood head unit (KDC-S2009).
- The CD works fine with no noise; if I pause it with the key at "accessory" or "on", there is no noise.
- With middle strength to weak FM stations, they come in clearly with the key at "accessory" but when the key is turned to "on", noise drowns out the FM program, even without the engine running. The noise continues with the key in "on" after the fuel pump has shut off and if I disconnect the ignition coil.
I've had this issue ever since I got rid of the stock radio in the late 90's with another Kenwood that had this same issue.

The radio's ground wire is connected to the bracket that holds the airbag computer.
The radio's rear ground port and the mounting bracket (chassis) are each grounded to separate bolts that hold the shifter assembly to the chassis of the car.
All three locations show good grounds (multi-meter run between the hot lead to the power port and ground shows 12.xx volts).
I recently had the antenna off when I was doing bodywork and made sure the mounting points for it were corrosion free.

So, who has ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts