SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. swapping my VE distributor in looks like hard work 'cause I'm using the DE ECU. I want to overhaul the DE one now but Nissan can't give me any info as apparently my car is an Autech vehicle so the chassis code comes back with 'Refer to Autech'. Nissan only works off chassis codes so giving them the dizzy number doesn't work (!)

The gent at Nissan had a guess at what dizzy I have but didn't give a price on the condenser as he didn't have a listing. I definitely have a condenser so that means either he's picked the wrong dizzy or the condenser is not something you can replace.

So after that mini-novel... can you replace the condenser on a DE distributor? The missing & farting problem could be caused by a faulty one so I don't want to buy a cap & rotor only to find the problem could be a condenser I can't replace.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot I had a picture so if you've done it, please let me know if this part can be replaced :) (Condenser / capacitor = round thingy with wire on outside of dizzy)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey Clint,

How sure are you that the fualt is with the dizzy? Maybe try and swap your diszzy with a mate's one that's similar to check if that is the problem first. Then supply Nissan with the chassis code of a mate's car that is not autec (or whatever it's called) so they can supply you with parts. (ps: That's a silly way for them to do business though hey...?)

As for the dizzy in that pic, it's the one with the internal coil and should be similar to the B14 USDM ones.

Lastly, the VE dizzy isn't that hard to wire up. I had mine done and found the pin outs and diagrams on this foum for it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of borrowing another chassis code so that I could get the part # right.

Not totally sure it's the distributor at all, my DE that it came off did use a bit of gas & have a bit of a uneven idle so I'm just eliminating the factors. Have put new NGK platinum plugs in and changed the leads over so one factor at a time I guess.

It would be nice to use a mate's distributor but I'm the only bloke I know running it the USA way with the leg ground on a DE jobby. I would love to see their face when I asked to borrow their one & then pulled out the dremel :)

Also using the DE O2 sensor as well but not sure if that would cause a problem. I can turn that off if I want to check it later though.

Did you use the VE distributor with the DE ECU?

·
Registered
16 Posts
im using the leg ground DE dizzy set-up. car isnt actually running atm so shouldnt be a prob if you wana try it?

·
Registered
991 Posts
There you go.

Nope currently running full management system. Why not go that route? Long term it would be the best option. Takes the guessing out of it and lets you tune everything to your hearts content.

·
Registered
346 Posts
im using the leg ground DE dizzy set-up. car isnt actually running atm so shouldnt be a prob if you wana try it?
Hmmmm...

So that makes TWO cars with issues, using parts from one series Nissan on another.

I'm just wondering HOW many differences there ARE internally between the VE Vs DE dizzy?

They may match up plug wise; but why would Nissan re-invent the dizzy for the VE if there wasn't good reason?

I'm NOT saying that there ARE any differences, I'm just curious.
It could be the source of issues?

·
Registered
16 Posts
not sure of the part number, car is locked up at work will have to check on monday
its off a sr18de so i presume itll be the same

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
There you go.

Nope currently running full management system. Why not go that route? Long term it would be the best option. Takes the guessing out of it and lets you tune everything to your hearts content.
Clint is running a Bikirom, he can tune it to his hearts content. The VE dizzy has the same trigger wheel as DE Dizzy, so the Biki P11 SR20DE ECU will handle the sensor input.

The VE coil does have a different resistance to the N15 SR20DE coil on both primary and secondary windings. The VE dizzy could be a cheap fix if wired up correctly.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah you're right on the trigger wheel as I'm using a DE trigger wheel for the MS in the VE ECU.

The dizzy itself has some slight differences inside from the DE unit though.

Also the plug sits on the opposite side form the DE. One reason why they had to change it I guess. The VVL selenoids are somewhat in the way with the DE plug on the selenoid side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts