SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone knows that the reds are easy to do yourself but what about the yellows? I know you use maxima inserts and need the Maxima strut housings and they need to be slightly modded to fit our cars. I know the strut tube diameter is larger then our stock struts. I wonder if you can use b13 GC sleeves or if they would be too skinny. Has anyone attempted this themselves?

·
SE-R and Prelude Nut
271 Posts
Yep! Thanks to Steve, I've got a pair for the front...

But they are not from a Maxima. The inserts are Koni Sports ("yellows") designed for an 02+ SE-R Spec-V. They are externally single-adjustable for rebound. They were custom installed into OE B13 strut housings by Steve (98sr20ve). And as you can see, they really turned out great!

The best part is that these SpecV Koni Sport inserts are actually significantly less expensive than the Koni Special (red) inserts that are sold specific to the B13. IIRC, the SpecV inserts were only $155 each from Tirerack. Meanwhile, they were selling the B13 Koni Specials for like $200 each...

I will be using OTS KYB AGXs for the rears with the Koni Sports in front. I can't wait to get them on the car. :D

Andrew

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we source the inserts and stock bodies ourselves and you do the install? If we want double adjustable do we have to special order them from Koni or something?

·
8,886 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
So we source the inserts and stock bodies ourselves and you do the install? If we want double adjustable do we have to special order them from Koni or something?
Double adjustable are being prototyped right now. Othewise, I just need the oem bodies.

FastNX said:
I sent you my stock struts and deposit. They should be there in a week or two. I can't wait to get these things on!!
PM me your name, adress, phone number.

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
So what exactly do we need and what are our options?

Koni yellow insert
strut body from ??

Are the fronts the same as the back? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for my suspension setup. Are they adjustable at all? What's double adjustable?

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you don't know what Double adjustable are you Don't Need them. As a matter of fact 95% of people should not even get double adjustable. If you don't have them adjusted right, then they aren't going to work very good. I've dealt with multiple cars with Double Adjustables, and it's just to much trouble to get set right.

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
98sr20ve said:
I can do the struts a variety of ways. Send me your phone number thru a PM. I prefer to talk on the phone to arrange this stuff. Too many options.

I PM'd you

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a set of used Koni yellows off my Maxima- rear ones, they seem to still hold a little bit but have been bottomed out maaaaany times- drove a few 600 mile trips with the car bottoming out constantly in the rear. I belive they should bolt up to a B14 rear and P11 plus B15. If U guys wanna try em out I can send em to ya and U can prototype something I guess. Shipping is not a problem for me. This way U can use Spec V inserts on the front of a B14 and possibly Maxima rears. I had enough Koni experience for now, going with KYB AGX now with possibly stiffer springs than my current 500/400 lb GC setup. At this moment I don't have 1200 bux layn around for the killer JIC Magic FLTA1s that they make for my Max. Nissan suspension travel sucks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
looking closer at the pics of these Spec V inserts I think they might be shortened right ? I know my A33A-maxima front Konis have a longer shaft than those Spec V units. Do U cut off the top- threaded part, then machine down the shaft and thread it ?

·
8,886 Posts
SentraPLAYA said:
looking closer at the pics of these Spec V inserts I think they might be shortened right ? I know my A33A-maxima front Konis have a longer shaft than those Spec V units. Do U cut off the top- threaded part, then machine down the shaft and thread it ?
There is a spacer I provided covering most of the threads.

·
Whats a SR20DE?
110 Posts
what do you paint strut bodies with? You should lookinto por-15 to coat bodies with..Never rust or chip..Awesome stuff and not very pricey. Well depends on what you consider pricey..Or maybe you have something..better..Sent you pm really interested in hearing form you..Not sure if i left my number..Hmmm
Peace
Jon

·
8,886 Posts
NuggetMonkey said:
what do you paint strut bodies with? You should lookinto por-15 to coat bodies with..Never rust or chip..Awesome stuff and not very pricey. Well depends on what you consider pricey..Or maybe you have something..better..Sent you pm really interested in hearing form you..Not sure if i left my number..Hmmm
Peace
Jon
From now on people are going to need to paint their own. I honestly thought about not doing any more struts at all for people. Instead I decided to stick firmly to my orignial plan which is simply to install them. No painting, no sandblasting, just the install.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
ahh heck... as long as they ride better than the AGX who cares what they look like... right?

i may be doing this for the front very soon as well...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.