SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told there is no adjustability in the rear so is it ever necessary to get a 4 wheel alignment done? Or is it just a waste of money?

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Although I don't own a 200, my understanding is that camber is non-adjustable (although you can get some good camber by lowering the car), but toe is still adjustable.

Therefore, you'd still benefit from a 4 wheel alignment, especially because extremes of toe will quickly kill your tires (as my A509s sitting in the garage will attest - too much toe-out, 1 inch of inner tread missing, after only two oil changes worth of driving).

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Actually their is zero adjustment in the rear. The only way to adjust the thing is by having a profesional race shop bend the *beam*.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you can also slot the struts, or when you put your shocks and springs in, tighten down the inside bolt first (on the strut tower) and that will give you a little more + camber, but with the pro kits, I do not think that you will really need any kind of adjustment, but an alignment (after the suspention settles)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how long/many miles until the suspension "settles?"

And since I am getting my springs at the end of this week and not getting the AGX's for 3-4 weeks, and new tires in 5 weeks, would it be so bad just to slap the Pro Kits on my stock struts (29k miles) for a few weeks without an alignment, then after getting the AGX's and letting the suspension settle, then getting the alignment? Or would it just not be worth the hassle and waste my tires/struts too much? I mean I will be getting rid of the tires and struts in several weeks anyways.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that doing it this way will help me understand the difference in spring rates vs. damping rates in how your suspension reacts to changes in each one as opposed to doing it all at once and seeing just one change. So there's educational value here as well. :)

And could someone recommend a spring compressor kit? Brand, where to buy, etc. I've used one before that just KILLED my arms and hands as I had to use a box end wrench and just move the nut up little by little. Are there easier ones to use?

Last thing for this post :) - when I changed the struts on my old car, I compressed them before removing the strut assemblies from the car. Ya'll think it's easier that way or just get them out of the wheel wells first?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On second thought maybe those three weeks will be annoying because possibly the alignment might be pulling to one side which will be more annoying than worth it for the "learning experience" and I will probably try to do some cornering manuevers which might be dangerous if the alignment is off and the car might react strangely.

But when I replaced the struts on my old car the time from when I bolted it all back up to when I got the alignment done, all I remember is the steering feeling a bit loose, not really pulling to one side or anything.

I dunno. Need second opinions on all this :) tired of revolving around my very incomplete knowledge.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
just do it all at once, it is not that hard to do, but can get time consuming, and boring if you are pulling your stuff out every other week.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Zero adjustment at all! That sucks! Well, at least you'll get some good camber when you lower it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Actually you don't get any camber. The rear is a straight beam that teters like a see-saw. Its more complicated than that it also move up and down but thats the basic idea. The rear hubs are connected solid to it and don't piviot like the fronts when lowered.

My car has -1.3 deg left rear and -1.2 deg rite rear. It was like that when it was stock also. Factory camber spec for the rear is -1.75 to -.25 deg.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
oh, just reading, ya, there is no adjustment for the rear, so go as low as you want :)

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Well, learn something every day. I did get some camber when I lowered my car, but it's fully independent suspension all round (NX2000).

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Ben,

A word of caution. Wait until you have all the suspension components before you do the install. Then do the install and drive around w/o an alignment. when you get the new tires do the alignment. All the instructions are on my page.
UR 4-Pulleys, Volk TE-37/Potenza RE-71 205/50ZR15.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So drive for 5 weeks without getting an alignment? If that's what's best than cool. Just wanted to make sure you knew I was going to go that long until I am able to pick up the tires.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
your alignment will not be that bad, it will be off, but not balding tires in two weeks bad, besides your getting new tires anyways?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that the normal way to do it? Is it normal to get an alignment with new tires? I'm confused.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bringing this to the top. Someone want to respond?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Did you get prokits or sportlines?
If you get an alignment now it won't change after you get new tires. Even if your woried about it most shops give a 6 month 6k mile alignment warrenty. You can tell them to recheck it when you have the new treds put on and if its out they will change it no charge. At least thats what NTB dose around here.
I would rather not drive for two weeks w/o an alignment IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts