SR20 Forum banner

Do springs wear our nowadays?

949 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spnx 
#1 ·
The stock springs in my 79 Grand Prix wore out and they got replaced in like 96 or something. They had long been dead. The shop that replaced them told me stories of how back in those days since cars were so heavy (and quality was so low) that you could drive around new car lots and could tell the cars that have sat there from the previous model year because a corner of the car would sag due to a failed/dead/low quality/not enough lb-ft spring.

So branching off from that idea, do OEM springs wear out nowadays?

And on a slightly different note, do aftermarket springs wear out? I ask because I am looking for a used set of Eibach ProKits and wondering if I should have any concern if the springs were used for a particular length of time.

#3 ·
I even used my Eibach Pro-Kits for 1.5 years with the stock struts, before I got the GABs, so they were pogoing around, and had more use than they get now.

They're absolutely fine.

However, after 10 years of use or something, yeah, I'd replace them, even though they are Eibachs. I'm sure they do wear over time.

Another good point too, was the point about vehicle weight. Our cars don't weigh much, and these are very substantial springs. The exact opposite of say, American cars from the 70s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.