SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased stainless steel exhaust pipes but not even a year later I'm starting to get rust build up. Most of it is on the hangers and welds. I'm guessing maybe these things aren't stainless but I'm also getting orange build up on the pipe. IS this normal? I thought stainless was supposed to be rust proof. I can take pics if anybody wants to host them for me, or I can just email. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Chances are the hangers and welds arn't stainless. Post some pics. I have been fabing stainless parts for about 30 years. There is also 400 series stainless and it will get surface rust.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Salvisol82 said:
I purchased stainless steel exhaust pipes but not even a year later I'm starting to get rust build up. Most of it is on the hangers and welds. I'm guessing maybe these things aren't stainless but I'm also getting orange build up on the pipe. IS this normal? I thought stainless was supposed to be rust proof. I can take pics if anybody wants to host them for me, or I can just email. Any comments would be appreciated.
It is possible for stainless still to rust. It will depend on the nickel content from what welder friend told me.
I "believe" it works like this 304ss vs 321ss persay is weaker and hihger chance of rusting. The best thing is to use stainless rods when welding if you want consistancy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts