SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive noticed that my RF tire is leaking air--and pretty fast at it, too. It drops like 10psi in one whole day. I haven't taken the time to examine it carefully but i haven't seen a nail on it or nothing.

Anyways, I can't take it to get repaired anytime soon because I just don't have time. I was thinking about using those foaming tire sealant that comes in a can. Do they work at all? I don't want to spray that stuff all in my tire and have the tire guys bitch at me for making their work a PITA

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Limited Slip said:
[B I was thinking about using those foaming tire sealant that comes in a can. Do they work at all? I don't want to spray that stuff all in my tire and have the tire guys bitch at me for making their work a PITA [/B]
It will slow down or stop a small leak for a while. It will also gum up your tire gauge, and you MUST check the tire pressure after adding it - at the risk of being too high a pressure and having a blow-out. Also, I'd keep the speeds below 70 MPH until you get it fixed at a tire shop off the rim. Tell the tire tech in advance there's tire sealant in the tire and he should be ok with it (versus accidently dumping all over himself from not knowing it's in there). I always keep a can in the trunk on long trips, and I've used it twice over the years.
Dan

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I would just air up each day and really find the 20 mins it will take to find the nail and patch it. I had it happen to me a few weeks ago, 11 bucks and about 20 mins and it was patched from the inside

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Heres a quick fix, man.
Fill that bad boy up with some fix-a-flat and drive around for 30 minutes. Deflate the tire completely to get all the explosive gases out, then fill it back up with good fresh air. Now go kill some ZX2s or something!!:cool:

G

·
hey man, i never use sealant and would never recomend it to anyone, firstly you drive pretty hard, if there is casing damage from a puncture and your sealant fixes the leak, you forget about it and then you have a blow out on your hands, being the front and all your pretty screwed. why dont you put your spare on, drop the tyre in and pick it up after work or something? yeah man im sure you'll suss it. chris.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
As a person who fixes tires daily, no they don't work well. They will get you out of a fix but could cost you. There are different kinds of tire sealants used some aren't too bad, others are down right nasty. Some of the sealers contain Glycol (spelling?), that's mostly what antifreeze contains. If you use a sealer that contains that chemical, 9 out of 10 times the tire will be unrepairable. It seeps in the rubber and the patch or plug won't adhere to it. So only use them if you have no other option.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i brought it out to the shop and discovered that there was a small little industrial-stapler thingy that got stuck in there! i got it patched up and guess what happens the next day?

THE FRICKING LEFT SIDE TIRES GOT PUNCTURED! this time it was a large nail and i got that patched up also. sheesh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts