SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i've ridden in jim wolfe's disco potato spec v. runs strong, mash the throttle and response is instantaneous, hardly any lag, kinda like a v8 but of course better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
iczer200sx what size is that tubing your using to recurculate the bov. i have the same bov and will need to do that soon. and how does it stay on there without blowing off?

·
Keeping It Real
637 Posts
iczer200sx said:
i've ridden in jim wolfe's disco potato spec v. runs strong, mash the throttle and response is instantaneous, hardly any lag, kinda like a v8 but of course better.
You've ridden in it and didn't know it was a SE, not a Spec V? ;)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Mr Sentra said:
Actually they built 2 turbo b15s. One was the SE they built way back when and the other was a spec v they built.

;)

Both are nice cars.

·
Keeping It Real
637 Posts
david said:
Actually they built 2 turbo b15s. One was the SE they built way back when and the other was a spec v they built.

;)

Both are nice cars.
So they have a Disco Potato Spec V or just a boosted Spec V? I know they built a Spec, but I was under the understanding that the SE was the Disco Potato because of the paint job. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Mr Sentra said:
um, of course i know the difference. the one i rode in was red, broken motor mount, stock suspension, fuel light on, fully built bottom end, and hauled ass. =)

·
Keeping It Real
637 Posts
iczer200sx said:
um, of course i know the difference. the one i rode in was red, broken motor mount, stock suspension, fuel light on, fully built bottom end, and hauled ass. =)
:) I guess I called the B15 SE that JWT had the DP and didn't consider the Spec V the DP, but in fact it has the DP turbo in it. Sorry about that. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes , I got the first one in Australia . This turbo is really good , very free flowing on the exhaust side . With this turbo forget how to spell lag because if your engine is tuned properly and the exhaust adequate the results are excellent . Only two things I found were a problem .
(1) The increase in exhaust noise esp with 3" pipe - if there was a next time I would use 2.5" , because lets face it for 280 whp all 3" tube does for you is act as a megaphone !
(2) The 3" air inlet is also overkill . I found that my charge temperatures went up noticably off boost and at lite load compared to the much older Nissan ball bearing turbo (R32 RB20) . I put this down to heat radiated into the larger back plate and compressor cover , good heat shielding should fix this .
For an alternative turbo to the std DET this turbo would be very hard to beat and would be my no1 choise . Have fun A.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
discopotato03 said:
Yes , I got the first one in Australia . This turbo is really good , very free flowing on the exhaust side . With this turbo forget how to spell lag because if your engine is tuned properly and the exhaust adequate the results are excellent . Only two things I found were a problem .
(1) The increase in exhaust noise esp with 3" pipe - if there was a next time I would use 2.5" , because lets face it for 280 whp all 3" tube does for you is act as a megaphone !
(2) The 3" air inlet is also overkill . I found that my charge temperatures went up noticably off boost and at lite load compared to the much older Nissan ball bearing turbo (R32 RB20) . I put this down to heat radiated into the larger back plate and compressor cover , good heat shielding should fix this .
For an alternative turbo to the std DET this turbo would be very hard to beat and would be my no1 choise . Have fun A.
thanks man, i've been looking around for turbos and i haven't heard any reviews about this turbo, what sucks is i just order a 3in downpipe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes lifes like that . Still someone may buy it . With exhausts you need to remember that the DP Turbos turbine outlet is around 48mm and 3" tube ID is something like 73mm , so the exhaust tube works out to be two and a half times the cross sectional area of the turbine outlet . Corky Bell (Maximum Boost) says that , "there is an exhaust gas velocity that ought not be exceeded " , and quotes 250 ft/sec . He also mentions that turbine outlet diameter plus 10% is a good rule of thumb ie 53mm for the DP Turbo , and thats virtually 2.25" tube ID !
The next turbo I'd like to try uses a 56mm gt30 turbine outlet so this plus 10% = 61.6mm or about 2.5" tube for 400hp . Corkys graph of pipe size versus engine hp shows 2.5" tube being good for just under 500hp . Got to go bye for now , A .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.