SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to know waht causes the boots on the CV joint to rip????
is it lowering the car or do they just break with time????

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
CV joints, like brakes, wear out over time. The boots rip, dirt gets in them, and the joints go bye-bye.

Lowering your car should have no effect on them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
IMO, yes I think they will wear out quicker. Driveline angles can mess things up big time. Also age and one rock on the boots will do it.

·
GT30R'd Up
1,813 Posts
SR20POWER1 said:
i wanted to know waht causes the boots on the CV joint to rip????
is it lowering the car or do they just break with time????

Dude, Give me a call when you can. Like I told you I usually take my car to get anything that has to do with my axles to Power Front Wheel Drive in Hialeah. They Replace Boots for $40 and thats with Parts and Labor Included or they'll rebuild your axle for $85 and thats with parts and Labor too. You can't beat that price with a bat. All you gotta do is give them the car.....and you sit in the funky smelling Waiting room.

Allan

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Lowering your car excessively *will* cause boots to fail. Fatboyse-r had his brand new boots fail after 2 sessions at Watkins Glen. He had his car extremely low since its not really driven on the street and he has shortened struts. A always ymmv...

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Whoah. Looks like I'm wrong on this one.

To add to what paNX2K&SE-R said, I think that "excessively" is the key here. My car is lowered just more than an inch, has been for two years, and I've had ZERO problems with the CV joints.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks allan!! i think me and my dad will take it apart on Friday and then ill take it to that place so that they can change the boot. I think i will be doing the brakes on Sunday maybe u can and help me and my dad if u have time.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
lowering the car excessively WILL cause the CVs to bust. All the guys racing in the NASA SE-R Cup series can probably attest to this. I've seen one of their cars and the axle is like at a 30+ degree angle or something crazy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my car is lowered about 2.25in the front. Is that too low???

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have the shortened struts from Motivational, will that make a positive difference?

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
I think you would be better off at 2" lowered.

This is my personal recommendation, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, 1/4" wont make a very noticable diffrence with lowering and how your car looks IMO.

I know how expensive axles can get and that is why I personally wouldnt take a chance with lowering a car too much. Maybe Mike could chime in more about this. In the meantime you might want to check that link out that I posted up there. It has GOBS and GOBS of great info.

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
YES!! lowering your car will bust your boots and cause premature failure to your cv joints. I'm on my third set of axles in 21/2 years and they are already clicking.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
chipey23 said:
YES!! lowering your car will bust your boots and cause premature failure to your cv joints. I'm on my third set of axles in 21/2 years and they are already clicking.
how low did you go, and what suspension is it?

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
i was told anything over a 2" drop could will have an effect, the lower you go the worse it gets. the rubber boots act like an accordian, they rub together more the lower the car goes.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Nizmonik SE-R said:
Dude, Give me a call when you can. Like I told you I usually take my car to get anything that has to do with my axles to Power Front Wheel Drive in Hialeah. They Replace Boots for $40 and thats with Parts and Labor Included or they'll rebuild your axle for $85 and thats with parts and Labor too. You can't beat that price with a bat. All you gotta do is give them the car.....and you sit in the funky smelling Waiting room.

Allan
You are paying too much...I just got a NEW driver side axle for $53 and change. There is this local auto parts store (New Jersey Auto Parts) down here in Cutler Ridge. You take them your axle (for a core) and they give you a new axle for $49.99 + tax.

Manny

·
GT30R'd Up
1,813 Posts
SE-Rawkus said:
You are paying too much...I just got a NEW driver side axle for $53 and change. There is this local auto parts store (New Jersey Auto Parts) down here in Cutler Ridge. You take them your axle (for a core) and they give you a new axle for $49.99 + tax.

Manny
You find Somewhere that will take off and Replace you Axle OFF YOUR CAR for $30 in labor. I dunno about you, but I think the time is takes to take off your axle is worth the $30 to do. Those people charge $85 to personally put your car on the lift.....Take off your wheel....Take out your old Axle....Replace it with a Rebuilt Axle.....bolt your wheel back on and take it off the lift. And Thats the same with the boot replacement, They put your car on a lift and Replace the boot for $40. So They'll probally charge alot less if you bring them the Axle to replace the boot, but you're better off just walking out of there with a fully rebuilt axle.

Allan

·
Wiggatastic!
1,043 Posts
Nizmonik SE-R said:
You find Somewhere that will take off and Replace you Axle OFF YOUR CAR for $30 in labor. I dunno about you, but I think the time is takes to take off your axle is worth the $30 to do. Those people charge $85 to personally put your car on the lift.....Take off your wheel....Take out your old Axle....Replace it with a Rebuilt Axle.....bolt your wheel back on and take it off the lift. And Thats the same with the boot replacement, They put your car on a lift and Replace the boot for $40. So They'll probally charge alot less if you bring them the Axle to replace the boot, but you're better off just walking out of there with a fully rebuilt axle.

Allan
Its really not that hard to take an axle out though....

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
blairellis said:
how low did you go, and what suspension is it?
I've had these Eibach Pro-kits on three different sets of struts. First tokico, then gr2's now agx's. I'm finished with these 'poor-kits'. I'm goin Ground Control next.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts