SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 1997 200sx se-r, but my dad is worried about the guy having nitrous on it, and it doing damage to the engine. I don't know much about the stuff. Let me know if you think it could have done any damage, he only had it on there for 1 summer, i don't even think he had to refill the tank.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
The life of the motor becomes considerably shorter with the use of nitrous.
Really? How so?

To answer the original question though, your dads a smart guy. I would NEVER buy a car that someone else had been squeezing, unless you plan to do a motor swap.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
well, one good thing about our cars is the motors are cheaper to replace than to rebuild. i would not trust a motor that someone else had sprayed. how much is he asking for the car? it may still be worth it.

·
Wiggatastic!
1,043 Posts
I would not buy it either. I have had my own downfalls with nitrous, and buying a bottlefed car just isn't something you should do.

My new engine is on the way!

~ Marcus

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
He is asking $4500 for the car, it has 80,000 miles on it, and the body is almost flawless. the car also has NX2000 front brakes, short shifter, and a act street clutch.

How much ould i be looking at to drop a JDM sr20de engine in?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
to buy the motor between 5 and 7 hundred shipped. i don;t kow about install, if you can do it urself it can be done in a day. Pretty easy and straight foward. If you can change a clutch then you are more than halfway there.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
byronchrisp05 said:
He is asking $4500 for the car, it has 80,000 miles on it, and the body is almost flawless. the car also has NX2000 front brakes, short shifter, and a act street clutch.

How much ould i be looking at to drop a JDM sr20de engine in?

$4500 is a good deal for a 97 with 80K on in IMHO. I would buy it, if the guy sprayed responsibly you should be fine. Just know that you might need to have to swap in a new engine if something is wrong with that one. I hav eseen JDM motors on here as cheap as $350 shipped.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't buy a sprayed car. I'd pick up a stock car. Less problems to worry about.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
If I didnt know the history of nitrous use...I would be hesitant. But if the guy was responsible and smart about it....

-Josh

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Basically here's what's going down on this car. The car had been sprayed 5 times with a 50 shot. not a big deal at all. the kid complains to me about not knowing the condition of the engine. Weird there's a thing called a compression test. this was a long drawn out process, and he knows nothing about the sr20. It's one hell of a huge loss for him. Oh well it'll hopefully make someone else very happy.

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I appericate the help, but it is my choice, i don't have lots of money to throw around. I admit i don't know a lot about the engine. If i knew everything i woudn't be on this damn forum. I do know what a compression test is, but i shoun't have to do it one a car i am considering buy. plus the fact it would end up costing over $5000 with an aliment, and tires. why take the risk when i have seen them at dealerships, completly stock for under $5000.Thanks for the help joe but i think i can find my own car. I knew you would be a little mad, but didn't think you would take it this far.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
^^^

Only someone who doesn't have any motor knowledge would say that. Why ask about a car when you didn't intend to buy it in the first place?

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I didn't make the final desion on the car, it was my dad who i needed to co-sign for the loan. He had talk to my uncle. who was a nissan mechanic for 7 years, and has been subaru mechanic for 11 years. He said to stay way from anything thats had nitrous.I think i would take his word over anybodys on this forum.

Joe whats the big deal i thought justin was going to buy it for $5000, or did he also not like the fact that it haveing nitrous on it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The nitrous use depends on the person and the install. I have been spraying the **** out of my car for a long time(a dry 75 shot at that) and the car loves it and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm tired of everyone saying that nitrous is bad, and you can't do this or that.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
AaroNX said:
I'm tired of everyone saying that nitrous is bad, and you can't do this or that.
I think this stems from some of the old timers who had really unsafe setups back in the 60s-70s. Nitrous and the motors that are hooked up with them today are way different from those times. Misconceptions have been a plague for way too long in the auto world.

byronchrisp05 said:
I think I would take his word over anybody's on this forum.
Do what you have to, but know that you're getting information from someone who probably doesn't have the experience with nitrous like this forum does. Did you ever thinking of asking your uncle how much experience he has with nitrous?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Sirnixalot said:
Nitrous doesnt kill motors.....Ignorant button pressing ricers are. They cause frequently unwarranted usage of nitrous.

You mah boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I believe your words fall on def ears, my .02 I have yet to blow a motor spraying nitrous. Lending my car out to the in-laws and trusting them to maintain is another story,(spun bearing).

But not as a result of nitrous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts